This is a rare opportunity to join the University’s Professional Support Services leadership team to take responsibility for the strategic leadership and management of the University Library – one of only five national research libraries in the UK. With more than four million printed books and manuscripts, over 41,000 unique electronic journals and 500,000 electronic books, as well as several hundred databases, ours is one of the best-resourced academic libraries in the country. Reporting to the Registrar, Secretary and Chief Operating Officer, you will lead and inspire your team to provide an outstanding level of support for teaching and learning, research and social responsibility to the University of Manchester. The post-holder is responsible for advancing best practice and incorporating innovative thinking to strengthen the library’s position as a leading research library in the UK and internationally, within the context of the University’s wider strategic ambitions.
You’ll motivate and inspire the University Library team (nearly 300 staff) across 13 library sites to deliver world class services to students, academics and members of the general public. Responsible for managing a budget of £23M per annum and for the creation and delivery of the Library strategy, you’ll take into account the present and future demands relating to teaching and research. You’ll lead on the conservation, exploitation and promotion of the Library’s unique collections and services, fostering creative and innovative ways to improve the Library’s services to all our customers.
- A visionary, strategic leader, with extensive experience in delivering organisational transformation and innovation within an academic culture
- A team player who thrives on working collaboratively and responsively with a wide range of stakeholders, and with exceptional influencing and relationship building skills
- A positive, motivational leader of large, diverse, customer-focused teams and substantial budgets
- Experience of working and prioritising in large and complex organisations and the ability to position the Library as a lead player in an international network of world-class research libraries
- Ability to develop and nurture strong strategic relationships within and beyond the University, and represent the University Library on high profile platforms, both nationally and internationally
For more information and to apply, please follow the link provided below.
Closing date: Midnight, Sunday 23rd September, 2018