The University of Pretoria has embarked on a major programme to enhance the research capacity of the Department of Chemistry. This stems from an appreciation that the fundamental discipline of Chemistry underpins some of the most critical research topics in the Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences and other faculties. As an initial step towards positioning the University as the partner of choice in all matters of Chemistry within the region, the country and the continent’s top-rated researchers are being sought with an interest in furthering both their respective academic discipline as well as the relevant applied disciplines. A position currently exists in the Department of Chemistry for a Senior Lecturer in Organic Chemistry, with proven expertise in drug discovery based on natural products including isolation and structure elucidation of natural compounds.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Lecturing at undergraduate and Honours levels on core and specialist courses in Organic Chemistry;
- Conducting independent and collaborative publishable research;
- Supervising postgraduate students;
- Initiating collaborative research projects with scientists from other disciplines within and outside the University;
- Interacting with research and development projects of the local and international industry;
- Expanding collaboration with academics world-wide;
- Soliciting research funding from industry and funding agencies locally and internationally;
- Participating in community-based programmes.
- A PhD in Organic Chemistry;
- An appropriate publication record;
- Proven expertise in drug discovery based on natural products, bioassay guided fractionation, isolation and structure elucidation of natural compounds;
- Skills in using the full range of hyphenated separation and analytical techniques such as HPLC–MS, UPLC–QTOF MS, NMR;
- Experience in lecturing in Organic Chemistry using a hybrid mode of delivery;
- Record of supervision of postgraduate students.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Ability to attract postgraduate students;
- Good language and communication skills;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Good interpersonal and leadership skills.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- NRF rating or evidence of being evaluated;
- Experience in leading joint research projects;
- Experience in working in teams both nationally and internationally;
- Record of fundraising for research projects;
- Liquid handling techniques for management of samples.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
- Self-evaluation of research and teaching.
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
Application related: Ms NA Müller at Natasha.email@example.com Tel: (012) 420 5056
Position related: Prof M Potgieter at firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: (012) 420 3095
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 30 June 2021, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference will be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.