To create and disseminate knowledge through initiating and conducting original research, through publication, in the area of microbiology and infection, and through developing and delivering undergraduate, postgraduate and CPD programmes. In addition, to contributing to the department/school through management/leadership, and enterprise activities, as appropriate.
Contribute to the whole range of research, teaching and administration.
Teaching is likely to include a contribution to: (a) the management, development (including programme/module review) and delivery of teaching and assessment; and (b) enhancement of the student experience or employability.The role will typically also involve developing and advising others, including: (a) providing expert advice to staff and students, (b) supervising and examining PhD students, and (c) developing and advising others on learning and teaching tasks and methods.
Research is likely to involve initiating, conducting and disseminating original research.The research has measurable outcomes and is reflected in a growing international reputation and often an incipient world leading reputation.
Management and administration is likely to involve contributions at Departmental and School level, and/or making an important contribution to some managerial/leadership activities (e.g. working groups) within the University.This may include developing and making substantial contributions to knowledge transfer, enterprise, business engagement, public engagement, widening participation, schools outreach, or similar activities at Department/School level or further within the University.
Due to the nature of the work undertaken in this role all successful applicants will be subject to a satisfactory Occupational Health Checks.
To plan and carry out research, using appropriate methodology and techniques.
This may include, where appropriate to the discipline:
Pursue personal research including developing research ideas and winning support, including financial support. Plan, publish and/or execute high quality research Project manage research activities, and/or supervise other research staff Present findings in high quality publications and conference proceedings Develop novel methodologies and techniques appropriate to the type of research being pursued Supervise and examine PhD students, both within the institution and externally Provide expert advice to staff and students within the discipline Apply knowledge in a way which develops new intellectual understanding Develop and make substantial contributions to knowledge transfer, and enterprise (including business engagement, public engagement) and similar activity that is of manifest benefit to the College and the University.
Learning and Teaching
To use a variety of methods in teaching and advising individuals and groups of undergraduates, postgraduates, or CPD students.
Where appropriate to the discipline this may include:
Teach and examine courses at a range of levels Plan and review own teaching approaches and act as a mentor to encourage others to do the same Develop programme proposals and make substantial contributions to the design of teaching programmes more widely in the Department or School, as appropriate Where appropriate, undertake and develop the full range of responsibilities in relation to supervision, marking and examining (including summative assessment, assessed work, contributing to the final award – as a mark or as credit – such as unseen examinations, essays, dissertations or presentations. Use appropriate approaches to learning and teaching in their field Disseminate appropriate practices through suitable media Develop and advise others on learning and teaching tasks and methods Develop and make substantial contributions to knowledge transfer, enterprise, business engagement,public engagement activities or similar on own specialism that enhances the student experience or employability and is of manifest benefit to the College and University Devise and supervise projects, student dissertations and practical work
To contribute to Departmental/School administration or have a high level of responsibility for others.
This may include:
Contribute to the administration/management of research and/or teaching across the Department/School Leadand managea team to devise and implement a new and/or revised process (e.g. new programme or a recruitment drive) Advise on personal development of colleagues and students Make a major contribution to some administrative activities within the University (e.g. appeals panels, working groups) Manage enterprise, business development, and public engagement activities of manifest benefit to the College and University Develop and make substantial contributions to knowledge transfer, enterprise, business engagement, public engagement, widening participation, schools outreach.
- A higher (usually PhD) or equivalent qualifications in the area of microbiology and infection
- Research/teaching experience and scholarship within the area of microbiology and infection
- Skills in managing, motivating and mentoring others successfully at all levels
- Research Experience and achievement in the field of microbiology and infection reflected in a growing reputation evidenced by 3* and 4* publications for submission to REF2021
- Experience and demonstrated success in planning, securing funding for, undertaking and project managing research to deliver high quality results
- Experience of applying and/or developing and devising successful models, techniques and methods around the disciplines of microbiology and infection
- Experience and achievementin knowledge transfer, enterprise and similar activity
- Ability to design, deliver, assess and revise teaching programmes
- Extensive experience and demonstrated success in developing appropriate approaches to learning and teaching
- Experience and success in knowledge transfer, enterprise and similar activity that enhances the student experience or employability
- Management Administration
- Ability to contribute to School/Departmental management processes, particularly around education quality and enhancement
- Ability to assess and organise resources effectively
- Understanding of and ability to contribute to broader management/administration processes
Closing Date: 6 Jun 2019