The University of Birmingham seeks to appoint a Senior Lecturer in Theatre from 1st September 2017 to create and disseminate knowledge and research at an internationally significant level and through developing and delivering undergraduate and postgraduate programmes. We wish to appoint an individual who will strengthen and augment the Departments existing profile in contemporary and modern drama, contemporary performance, playwriting and writing for performance, and theatre and socio-political context.
The successful candidate will be expected to create and disseminate knowledge through initiating and conducting original research, through publication, and through developing and delivering undergraduate and postgraduate programmes. An ability to conduct research through and/or to teach practice will be an advantage. In addition the post holder will have existing experience in a major administrative role and, in due course, be expected to take on the role of Head of Department.
- Demonstrated competence in Research; Learning and Teaching; and Management and Administration; and excellence in at least two of these areas.
- An excellent national reputation and a developing international profile through significant original research work and a clear record of impact. Evidence of success under the following headings, as appropriate to the discipline:
- High level peer esteem as evidenced by
- Excellent reputation in the UK and often internationally, reflected in sustained high quality output, level of innovation, impact on subject and recognition
- An excellent and sustained record of peer reviewed research publications
- Successful and sustained supervision of doctoral students to completion
- Substantial and sustained research income generation, e.g. through research grants, contracts, research consultancy or other external funding
- Sustained high value impact knowledge transfer and enterprise that is of manifest benefit to the College and University
Learning and teaching requirements
An excellent teaching profile and performance in terms of both impact and quality. The teaching quality demonstrated to be informed by an appropriate level of scholarship. Evidence of success under the following headings:
- High national reputation for the development of teaching and learning excellence within the discipline
- Successful and sustained use of a range of appropriate teaching methods, and assessment strategies that promote high quality learning, including learning that is flexible, distinctive and current and stimulates learners natural curiosity
- Significant and sustained contribution to one or more of the following: strategic development of new programmes; approaches to learning; the development of learning resources
- High quality and sustained contributions to fostering excellence in teaching activities more widely, i.e. in the Department/School or College and/or externally
- Track record of substantial and sustained high value impact on the enhancement of the student experience, and/or employability
- Mentoring and expert advice which develops the skills of colleagues in teaching and in fostering learning
Management and administration-related requirements
- Demonstrated significant achievement in management and administration-related activities, which may include leadership of activities/initiatives. Evidence of success under the following headings
- Successful and sustained performance in significant administrative/managerial role (s) (e.g. exams officer)
- Significant and sustained high quality innovative contributions to the management/administration of the Department/School/College or University
- Successful and sustained contribution to the corporate life of the School/College/University, displaying willingness to contribute actively to committees, collaborative teaching and administrative tasks