A Research Technician with satellite, unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), and ground data analysis skills is required to assist with work related to European Space Agency Dragon 5 project ‘UAVs for Validation’ and Sentinel 3 Mission performance centre.
The specific work to be undertaken involves:
- Analysing high spatial resolution satellite and UAV datasets, including pre-processing, retrieval of vegetation biophysical variables, and investigating the accuracy of generated datasets through comparison with ground measurements.
- Developing methods to exploit the generated UAV and high spatial resolution satellite datasets for validation of moderate spatial resolution satellite products.
- Participating in field data collection campaigns organised within the project.
- Contributing to the writing of project documentation.
- Managing the database of measurements collected through project field campaigns to ensure they are standardised and up to date.
This is a full time fixed term post for 18 months and the successful applicant must have a skill level equivalent to achievement of HNC, A-Level, NVQ3. An undergraduate or Master’s degree in Geography, Remote Sensing, or related fields is desirable, along with strong image processing skills, experience using standard remote sensing software (e.g. ENVI, SNAP), and previous experience analysing satellite data is essential for the role. Knowledge and experience in analysing Sentinel-2 and Sentinel-3 images, pre-processing UAV data, and conducting fieldwork for collecting vegetation biophysical variables would be an advantage. Good scientific programming abilities (e.g. Python, Matlab, IDL, or R) is desirable.
The post is tenable from 01 June 2021.
Informal enquiries may be made to Professor Jadu Dash J.Dash@soton.ac.uk.
We aim to be an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all sections of the community.