The Outreach and Research Programme of the Department of Paediatrics and Child Health has nine community-based field sites across Pakistan (including five in Karachi) and focuses on research for the betterment of women and child health. The Department has a Nutritional Research Laboratory as well as an Infectious Disease Research Laboratory that caters to the needs of its research projects. It has well-acclaimed work to its credit both at the national and international level.
The department is carrying out a research study titled “Capsule endomicroscopy for visualization of the small intestine in EED population in Pakistan” which will take place at the Matiari district. The primary aim of this study is to visualize the gastrointestinal mucosa of healthy and malnourished children using a tethered capsule device that utilizes advanced imaging technology which would not require general anesthesia and can be done through a simple NG tube in an un-sedated child.
You will be responsible to:
- supervise the field teams and undertake monitoring activities
- conduct quality checks of data and create liaison between community participants and the internal stakeholders
- provide quality counselling to the patients in the healthcare facility used for research
- supervise and train the research staff
- enroll patients for on-going research studies and update their schedules of visits
- maintain records of research conducted and prepare periodic progress reports
- design and plan social mobilization strategies for target communities
- provide appropriate guidance to the families of research subjects to have their support
- review the case history of the identified individuals
- apply the clinical knowledge in ascertainment of the cause of death of selected individuals as per the study requirements.
You should have:
- an MBBS degree with a valid PMDC license, preferably with house job / internship completed and some community research experience
- proficiency in the use of computer applications, particularly MS Office
- good communication skills
- ability to work effectively in teams and establish harmonious working relations at the place of work
- ability to manage time and prioritize tasks effectively
- resilience and ability to cope with work pressure
- willingness to work in the community settings and travel to field sites.
This is a closed ended position to be based in Matiari.