The European Humanities University (EHU) announces a search for the position of the University Rector. An international search will be conducted on the University’s behalf by Mercuri Urval consulting firm and under the aegis of the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency. The new Rector is expected to take office during the first half of the calendar year 2017.
EHU provides students from Belarus and the region with a liberal education in a free and democratic environment. EHU was founded in Minsk, Belarus in 1992 and operates as a recognized university in Vilnius, Lithuania since 2006. The only university currently in exile in Europe, EHU is supported by tuition fees, private sector foundations and donors, the European Commission, the U.S. Government and the Governments of more than 15 European states. Adhering to the Bologna process EHU is committed to Humanities and Liberal arts education as the essential foundation for successful professional lives and for inclusive and creative democratic societies, as a university that occupies an important intellectual space in the geographical and intellectual transition zone between Eastern and Western Europe.
EHU's mission is to have all its high and low residence undergraduate, graduate and doctoral students to expand their horizons while staying in close touch with their homeland and preserving their cultural identity. University students and faculty take an active part in higher education internationalization activities, international research projects and conferences across Europe.
Selected candidate will be employed for 5 (five) years contract period with an attractive remuneration package reflecting current net salary of the candidate plus an uplift / bonus depending on the qualifications and the geographical location of the candidate. Contribution to candidate’s pension scheme, health insurance, reimbursement of school fees and housing are possible.
Rector’s principal purpose is to act on behalf of the University and to represent it. University Rector will report to the Governing Board (GB), and collaborate directly with administrative officers who lead a multinational staff responsible for all aspects of academic and logistical management. Rector is at the center of the governance arrangements of the University and requires ensuring that the interests of the whole University community are considered in the GB decision-making processes. Rector also represents EHU at ceremonial and other high profile events.
Incoming candidate’s essential responsibility:
- To ensure that EHU during the cause of his or her mandate becomes a first class university delivering leading edge liberal arts education to students from Belarus in a free democratic environment
- To develop a clear vision and mission for the university, which should be translated into clear, realistic and ambitious work plans for academic and financial performance of the university
- To act on the basis of the vision and mission to further improve the reputation of EHU, which will lead to an expansion of student recruitment. The university should be able to recruit and attract high-level academic staff
Candidate’s key qualifications:
- PhD or equivalent in relevant academic field
- At least 15 years of experience with teaching and research at university level preferably in the field of humanities and social sciences, including relevant experience with international university collaboration
- At least 5 years of senior leadership experience from a college or university
- Experience in working with EU structures demonstrating a good knowledge of the European university sector
- Fluent in English
- Knowledge of local/regional socio-cultural context and/or experience in working with universities from the post-Soviet region in Eastern Europe or the Baltic countries would be considered an advantage
- Knowledge of Russian and/or Belarusian would be considered as an advantage.
Requirements and expectations concerning the professional qualifications of the candidate:
- Exceptional leadership skills, ability to run a university being a change agent
- Excellent Human Resources management skills with the ability to lead, manage and motivate diverse, complex and international teams, in accordance with University’s objectives, agreed plans, timelines and budget
- Excellent judgment and decision-making skills
- Exceptional interpersonal and intercultural skills
- Ability to delegate task effectively
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills
- Ability to work closely with all categories of academic staff on the development of the first-class study programs creating an international curriculum / education model
- Ability to comprehend the importance of financial and risk management
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills and ability to work in close cooperation with financiers such as government entities and private sector donors
- Building a strong and collaborative university network within and beyond the region, and ensuring University’s solid place in it
Requirements and expectations concerning the personal qualifications of the candidate:
- Strong understanding of the uniqueness and potential of the university and the importance of delivering first-class education to students from Belarus and throughout the region, considering the previous and past successes and the historical background of EHU
- Strong strategic vision and belief in deep societal transformation
- Assertive and persistent approach, eagerness to overcome challenges
- Strong, charismatic and inspiring character
- Creative and open for new and innovative ways of working
- Ability to understand other peoples’ personality, motivations, and skills
- Openness to other peoples’ inputs and ideas
- Diplomatic skills and critical sense
- Ability to collaborate at all levels creating a common purpose and direction building on trust and mutual responsibilities
- Ability to influence and convince others overcoming obstacles and resistance
- Willingness to go the extra mile whenever needed.
2-3 longlist candidates will be selected for the interviews and personality assessments and for final interviews by the EHU Selection Committee, which will be composed General Assembly of Part-Owners (GAPO) representative, President, and Acting Rector of EHU, GB and Senate representatives with a total amount of 7 members of the Selection committee. Committee will report on the results of the interviews to GAPO, whilst on this basis and on the basis of the non-binding recommendations of GB (Statutes 6.2.8) GAPO will take the final decision on the recruitment process.
Deadline for nominations and applications is 17 January 2017 at 12 noon (CET).
EHU values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity for all persons regardless of age, color, disability, ethnicity, marital status, national origin, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by law.