Department of Family and Emergency Medicine
Division of Emergency Medicine
Professor/Associate Professor/Senior Lecturer and Head of Emergency Medicine
(Professional Equivalent Specialist/Head of a Clinical Unit)
Stellenbosch University is an inclusive, innovative and future focused institution, a place of discovery and excellence where both staff and students are thought leaders in
advancing knowledge in the service of all stakeholders. In partnership with the Western Cape Government, Department of Health,
we are seeking someone who will provide vision and leadership that will enhance our position as a leading Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, to fill the position.
Appointment is on the joint establishment of Stellenbosch University and the Western Cape Government, Department of Health on the conditions of service of the University.
Reporting to the Executive Head: Department of Family and Emergency Medicine, the incumbent’s duties will include:
- Overall strategic leadership of the Division, giving expression to its vision of becoming a world-class centre for training, research and innovation in Emergency Medicine;
- Fostering an inclusive and collegial environment that encourages a high level of performance, communication and teamwork;
- Operational, human resources and financial management of the Division;
- Service delivery in support of Emergency Medicine within the Department of Health of the Western Cape Provincial Government (Eastern Metro Health);
- Developing, coordinating, evaluating and participating in undergraduate and postgraduate training programmes in Emergency Medicine;
- Performing and supervising research in priority areas;
- Contributing to the goals and functioning of the University and the health department;
- Expanding and strengthening collaboration with health services, communities and other stakeholders.
- A relevant postgraduate qualification in Emergency Medicine;
- Registration as an Emergency Medicine specialist with the HPCSA;
- Expertise and experience in under- and postgraduate teaching, training and supervision;
- Experience in working within Emergency Medicine;
- Proven management and leadership experience in academic or related environments;
- Proven independent research experience with publications and related research outputs;
- Experience of successful postgraduate supervision (minimum Master's level);
- Participation in and management of research within a project or team context.
- A Doctorate or advanced stage of completing a Doctorate (for appointment at Associate Professor level) relevant to the field of Emergency Medicine;
- Successful PhD supervision;
- Success in securing grants.
The University will consider all applications in terms of its Employment Equity Plan, which acknowledges the need to diversify the demographic composition of the staff corps, especially with regard to the appointment of suitable candidates from the designated groups.
The University reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Your application, comprising a comprehensive curriculum vitae (including the names and e-mail address of at least three referees), must reach the University before or on the
closing date of the advertised post.
The University reserves the right to investigate qualifications and conduct background checks on all candidates.
Should no feedback be received from the University within four weeks of the closing date, kindly accept that your application was unsuccessful.
Enquiries regarding job content: Prof Bob Mash on 021 938 9170, or at email@example.com