FACULTY OF NATURAL AND AGRICULTURAL SCIENCES
DEPARTMENT OF CONSUMER AND FOOD SCIENCE
PROFESSOR AND HEAD OF DEPARTMENT (ONE POST)
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the above vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
It has been decided to merge the departments of Consumer Science and Food Science into one entity, the Department of Consumer and Food Science.
The University of Pretoria is seeking a visionary, highly motivated and internationally recognised scientist to establish the new Department and to develop its research and teaching programmes and facilities. The candidate should ideally have experience in academic administration in the university context and be able to combine field/laboratory and quantitative methods to address research and teaching. Good contacts with industry and the international donor community would be beneficial.
In addition to the normal administrative duties of a head of department, this position will involve the realisation of a vision for the newly integrated Department of Consumer and Food Science. The incumbent will actively support and drive the University of Pretoria’s 2025 vision to become a leading research-intensive university in Africa. Thus, applicants should be able to demonstrate a record of international research collaboration and teaching, and supervision at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Furthermore, the applicants should be committed to the transformation process.
The incumbent will be responsible for:
- The strategic, academic and operational management of the Department;
- Promoting the Department’s research profile;
- Ensuring scholarly academic and professional education and training;
- Playing an active role as academic leader of the disciplines at national and international levels;
- Fundraising for departmental activities;
- Improving the Department’s diversity and Employment Equity (EE) profile.
- A relevant doctorate;
- Relevant experience in academic administration, preferably in the University context;
- Experience in high-level liaison with internal and external stakeholders and professional associations;
- Academic status and both national and international recognition in the relevant discipline;
- A proven research and publication record and peer recognition (appropriate NRF rating, unless candidate is not from a South African university);
- An appropriate vision for the Department.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Managerial skills and competencies;
- Strong leadership and communication skills;
- Interpersonal skills;
- Diversity management skills;
- The ability to lead research programmes.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Managerial experience at a tertiary institution;
- A strong research record in one of the Department’s research specialisation fields.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED medical aid scheme and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
- Teaching portfolio;
- Vision for the Department.
Shortlisted applicants will be expected to deliver a 10 minute presentation to the Appointment’s Committee on his/her vision for the Department.
By applying, candidates agree to the appointment process as set out in the relevant UP policy document. This process can be accessed at http://www.up.ac.za/services/personnel/policies/w113E.doc.
Although candidates will be appointed permanently as Professor, the headship is a fixed-term appointment of four years. Preference will be given to the incumbent for re-appointment for a second term.
CLOSING DATE: 20 January 2017
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Prof J M-S Lubuma, Tel: (012) 420 3201, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 March 2017, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.