FACULTY OF LAW
DEPARTMENT OF JURISPRUDENCE
PROFESSOR / ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR AND HEAD OF DEPARTMENT (ONE POST)
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the above vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- The strategic, academic and operational management of the Department;
- Promoting, planning, organising and managing academic and research programmes and the Department’s research profile;
- Recruitment, development and management of professional personnel;
- Managing all financial activities including externally funded projects;
- Fund raising;
- Playing an active role as an acknowledged academic leader in the discipline at a national and international level – in relation to teaching, postgraduate supervision as well as research;*
- Marketing and growing the Department on all levels;
- Aligning the Department with the strategic plans, goals and policies of the University and that of the Faculty of Law.
* The Department of Jurisprudence presents, amongst others, undergraduate modules relating to the underlying jurisprudential aspects of law; the historical developments of South African law; research methodology and skills; various jurisprudential approaches to law including critical legal theory; modern and post-modern approaches; decolonial approaches; as well as a post-apartheid contextualisation of law, which includes an awareness of the demands of poverty; sexual violence; racism and unequal power relations. It also offers a structured LLM/M Phil programme in Law and Political Justice. The Department of Jurisprudence strives towards critical, creative and independent thought and is also, in its research and teaching, attuned to transformation of the law, legal culture and the curriculum.
- A relevant doctoral degree in law;
- Significant local and some international academic recognition in the relevant discipline of which a suitable NRF rating will serve as a strong indication;
- A proven sustained high quality teaching, research and publication record, including relevant postgraduate supervision.
Professor (same as for Associate Professor, plus):
- Substantial local and international recognition as researcher, with significant experience in the supervising of postgraduate students (Master’s or PhD students).
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
For both Associate Professor and Professor:
- Experience in high-level liaison with internal and external stakeholders;
- Established national and international academic profile and networks;
- Both the ability and commitment to contribute to the development of UP as a research-intensive academic institution.
- Strong leadership and communication skills.
- Proven exposure to managerial duties at a tertiary institution.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
For both Associate Professor and Professor:
- Extensive managerial experience at a tertiary institution.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED medical aid scheme and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online, quoting the applicable reference number.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive, updated Curriculum Vitae;
- A brief self-evaluation by the candidate;
- The candidate’s vision for the Department of Jurisprudence;
- Details of three contactable referees, including referees who can attest to the candidate’s academic and/or leadership qualities.
Shortlisted applicants will be expected to deliver a 15 minute presentation to the Appointment’s Committee on his/her vision for the Department.
By applying, candidates agree to the appointment process as set out in the relevant UP policy document. This process can be accessed at http://www.up.ac.za/services/personnel/policies/w113E.doc.
Although the headship is a fixed-term appointment for four years, external candidates will also be considered for a permanent academic appointment as Professor or Associate Professor. Upon expiry of the term, preference will be given to the incumbent for re-appointment for a second term.
STARTING DATE: 1 April 2017, or as soon as possible thereafter.
CLOSING DATE: 27 January 2017
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements for the post.
ENQUIRIES: Prof André Boraine, Tel: (012) 420 4126
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 March 2017 please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to, candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right not to make an appointment to the posts as advertised.