FACULTY OF EDUCATION
DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATIONAL PSYCHOLOGY
PROFESSOR / ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR AND HEAD OF DEPARTMENT (ONE POST)
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the above vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- The strategic, academic and operational management of the Department;
- Promoting the Department’s research profile;
- Ensuring scholarly and professional education and training;
- Playing an active role as academic leader of the discipline at an institutional, national and international levels;
- Promoting e-learning and blended learning;
- Fundraising for departmental activities.
- A relevant doctoral degree;
- Strong research profile;
- Registration with the HPCSA as an Educational Psychologist;
- Experience in practical supervision of Educational Psychology students;
- Strong teaching and learning portfolio;
- Appointable at associate professor / professorial level;
- Undergraduate teaching experience;
- Experience in leading research programmes and teacher education programmes;
- Postgraduate supervision experience (completed studies);
- Evidence of fundraising and the ability to attract funding;
- Evidence of administration and management experience.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Academic status in the relevant discipline;
- Peer recognition in a field relevant to the Department;
- Managerial skills and competencies;
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills;
- Appropriate language and communication skills;
- Diversity management skills;
- International networks and recognition as an education expert;
- Research-active in a field relevant to the Department.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- NRF-rated researcher;
- Experience in leading a large academic department;
- A strong record of involvement at schools.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED medical aid scheme and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online, quoting the applicable reference number.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
- Teaching portfolio;
- Vision for the Department.
Shortlisted applicants will be expected to deliver a 10 minute presentation to the Appointment’s Committee on his/her vision for the Department.
By applying, candidates agree to the appointment process as set out in the relevant UP policy document. This process can be accessed at http://www.up.ac.za/services/personnel/policies/w113E.doc.
Although candidates will be appointed permanently as Professor or Associate Professor, the headship is a fixed-term appointment of four years. Preference will be given to the incumbent for re-appointment for a second term.
CLOSING DATE: 23 January 2017
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Prof CT Sehoole, Tel: (012) 420 2327
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 March 2017, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.