FACULTY OF NATURAL AND AGRICULTURAL SCIENCES
DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURAL ECONOMICS, EXTENSION AND RURAL DEVELOPMENT
PROFESSOR / ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR AND HEAD OF DEPARTMENT (ONE POST)
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the above vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The University of Pretoria is seeking a highly motivated, internationally recognised scientist to further develop research and teaching programmes of the Department. The candidate will be responsible for supervising masters and PhD students and is expected to contribute to teaching of undergraduate as well as honours courses. He/she will actively support and contribute to the commitment of the University of Pretoria’s vision to become a leading research university in Africa.
Apart from the normal administrative duties as Head of Department, the position will involve the maintaining the position of the Department as a leading department in Africa in the economic and social sciences related to food, agriculture and natural resources.
The incumbent will be responsible for the overall management of research and teaching programmes in the following focus areas and their associated entities:
- Agribusiness management;
- Agricultural extension;
- Agricultural and rural development;
- Agricultural and rural finance;
- Agricultural policy; and
- Environmental economics.
Associated entities include the Centre for Environmental Economics and Policy in Africa, and the Bureau for Food and Agricultural Policy.
The incumbent will be responsible for:
- The strategic, academic and operational management of the Department;
- Promoting the Department’s research profile;
- Ensuring scholarly academic and professional education and training;
- Playing an active role as academic leader of the discipline at national and international levels;
- Fundraising for departmental activities.
- A relevant doctorate with at least 10 years’ relevant experience in at least three of the above focus areas of the Department;
- Experience in high-level liaison with internal and external stakeholders and professional associations;
- Academic status and at least national recognition in the economic or social science discipline related to food, agriculture and natural resources for appointment at Associate Professor level, but both national and international recognition for appointment at Professor level;
- A proven research and publication track record as evidenced by publications in accredited national and international journals in the economic and social science disciplines related to agriculture, food, and natural resources;
- An appropriate vision for the Department to ensure it remains a leading department in Africa;
- A proven track record of masters and PhD student supervision;
- A good track record of international research collaboration and successful acquisition of external research grants.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Managerial and administrative skills;
- Strong leadership and communication skills;
- Good interpersonal skills;
- Diversity management skills;
- The ability to lead research and teaching programmes;
- Ability to raise funds.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Familiarity with the agricultural sector and its challenges in southern Africa;
- Extensive networks in the agricultural industry, agricultural research and international donor community;
- Specialisation in Agricultural Policy;
- Appropriate NRF rating, unless candidate is not from a South African university.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED medical aid scheme and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- Completed and updated Curriculum Vitae;
- A brief self-evaluation by the candidate;
- The candidate’s vision for the Department;
- Details of three contactable referees, including referees who can attest to the candidate’s academic and/or leadership qualities.
Candidates may be expected to make a 15 minute presentation to the Appointments Committee on his / her vision for the Department.
By applying, candidates agree to the appointment process as set out in the relevant UP policy document. This process can be accessed at http://www.up.ac.za/services/personnel/policies/w113E.doc.
Although candidates will be appointed permanently as Professor or Associate Professor, the headship is a fixed-term appointment of four years. Preference will be given to the incumbent for re-appointment for a second term.
CLOSING DATE: 20 January 2017
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Prof J M-S Lubuma, Tel: (012) 420 3201 / E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 March 2017, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.