The Institute of Molecular and Clinical Ophthalmology Basel (IOB) is seeking a highly motivated Research Assistant to join the Human Organoid Platform.
IOB is a research institute combining basic and clinical research. Its mission is to drive innovations in understanding vision and its diseases and develop new therapies for vision loss. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your abilities challenged, and your knowledge expanded.
The Human Organoid Platform uses human retinal organoids in combination with genome engineering to create disease models and test novel gene-therapy approaches for human blinding disorders. The Human Organoid Platform is continuously developing new methodologies to improve the culture and analysis of human induced pluripotent stem cells and retinal organoids, as well as implementing new read-outs for ocular disease phenotypes in retinal organoids.
- In vitro culture of human induced pluripotent stem (iPSC) cells and retinal organoids;
- Gene editing of iPSC by CRISPR/Cas9, and full characterization of mutant cells;
- Characterization of iPSC and retinal organoids by various histology, molecular biology
- Vector construction and molecular cloning;
- Applying and improving new methodologies to enhance the creation of mutant iPSC;
- Reprogramming of human primary cells to iPSC;
- Biobanking of primary cells and iPSC;
- Involvement in lab management and organization;
- Close collaboration with group members and IOB groups.
- Biologielaborant/in (or equivalent education) with several years of work experience or Bachelor's/Master's Degree (or equivalent) in molecular biology or related field;
- Excellent aseptic cell culture technique;
- Independence in the planning, execution, analysis and troubleshooting of standard molecular biology experiments;
- Willingness to work with lentivirus, Sendai virus, human tissue and blood as well as standard hazardous laboratory compounds;
- Enthusiasm to establish and optimize new protocols and techniques;
- Highly organized, detail-oriented and skilled with computers;
- Good written and verbal communications skills;
- Some work during weekends and public holidays;
- Fluency in oral and written English;
We offer you
- Highly competitive conditions in a dynamic and international research community in Basel;
- IOB is an equal-opportunity employer with family-friendly work policies.