Recognising that diversity is important in achieving excellence, Rhodes University strongly encourages South African members of underrepresented designated groups as well as persons with disabilities to apply. Spouses and partners of existing staff members are also encouraged to apply.
The purpose of this job is to support the Director by managing the financial and administrative activities of the administrative staff of the PSAM, so as to deliver a quality level of service to PSAM’s senior management and programme staff and particularly with regard to financial management of the various sources of programme and organisational funding.
An appropriate 3-year degree/diploma in Accounting and/or Auditing with approximately 6 years’ relevant experience where such experience includes:
- Previous experience which demonstrates a thorough understanding of financial management and accounting principles, with the ability to consolidate sets of accounts in the required format/s. The ability to properly manage, investigate and reconcile multiple accounts and take into account the impacts of foreign exchange rates is essential.
- Previous experience in working within a computerised accounting environment and having worked with Excel at an advanced level.
- Previous experience in working with word-processing (including being able to create and maintain databases), e-mail and the internet.
- Previous experience in setting up and maintaining filing and administrative systems.
- At least 2 years’ management experience, including the supervision and motivation of staff and dealing with conflict.
- It will be advantageous to have prior work experience in a similar management position within a civil society organization /NGO that receives external funding across a number of foreign currencies with complex grant conditions especially as regards financial reporting.
- Previous experience in research grant financial administration will also be an advantage.
For additional information, please refer to the Job profile .
Please note that this appointment will be made in line with the requirements of the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998, as amended and the University’s recruitment and selection policies and equity strategies. The initial focus will be on equity candidates.
In terms of Immigration Legislation (Act No. 13 of 2002 & Regulations) as amended, international staff members (non-SA citizens) have to comply with the provisions of the Act. This therefore means that the period of employment to non-SA citizens will be guided by the validity period of the work permit. In line with legislation governing employment of foreign nationals, employment contracts will be offered on the basis that a development plan would be implemented for the transfer of skills to a South African resident. The onus is on candidates to ensure that they are in possession of a valid work permit before the commencement of employment at the University, failing which the employment with Rhodes University will be terminated.
The following documents are required and failure to submit such documentation will result in an application not being considered:
- An application form .
- A comprehensive CV .
- A letter of motivation, which tells us your interest in the post and suitability in light of the requirements.
- Relevant Qualification.
It is essential that prospective candidates read the job profile and ensure that all relevant documents are submitted.
Candidates should submit all the documentation i.e. An application form, a letter of motivation which clearly indicates the position they are applying for, a comprehensive CV and relevant qualification via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org .
If you have any questions or experiencing challenges with e-mailing your application, please contact Ms Ntosh Gongqa on 0466038616.
Selection Process (provisional dates, subject to change):
Short-listing – 10 October 2022
Assessment – 13 October 2022
Interviews – 20 October 2022
The selection process that will be followed for this post includes an assessment and an interview. The Full Minimum Requirements against which candidates are to be measured are outlined in the Job Profile. An employment check will be conducted on successful candidates.
Remuneration (Grade 14)
Basic salary per annum: R384 516
Total Cost to Company per annum: R443 916
All applications will be treated in strict confidence. The University reserves the right not to proceed with the filling of the post. An application in itself does not entitle the applicant to an interview.
Candidates should note that Rhodes University has introduced a Covid-19 vaccine mandate and that staff members are required to conform to the University's conditions in this regard.
Closing Date:26 September 2022 at 12:00
If you are not contacted within 30 days from the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful. show more...