The successful candidate will actively participate in the following areas:
- Teaching and practical training of undergraduate and postgraduate veterinary and veterinary nursing students in Diagnostic Imaging;
- Clinical service in the Onderstepoort Veterinary Academic Hospital, surrounding community and satellite clinics, including participation in a 24-hour service;
- Postgraduate training and supervision where appropriate;
- Research and publication in scientific journals;
- Networking with relevant industry stakeholders;
- Community engagement;
- Administrative and other duties as delegated by the Head of Department; and
- Academic self-development.
- A BVSc- or BVMCh-degree or an equivalent veterinary qualification;
- A Master’s or equivalent postgraduate degree in the field of Diagnostic Imaging at the time of appointment or registered for an applicable MSc or MMedVet degree to be completed within one year of appointment;
- Registration with the SAVC at the time of appointment or eligibility for registration within a reasonable time;
- Demonstrable interest in research;
- Evidence of continued professional development or continued education development;
- Participation in extracurricular academic activities or events;
- A BVSc- or BVMCh-degree or equivalent professional veterinary qualification;
- For specialists: A MMedVet-degree in Veterinary Diagnostic Imaging and/or equivalent specialty board certification; and registration with the SAVC as a specialist in Veterinary Diagnostic Imaging or eligibility for registration within a reasonable period; at least two full peer reviewed papers in ISI accredited scientific journals as first or senior author.
- For non-specialists: A MSc degree in Veterinary Diagnostic Imaging with relevant experience, including advanced imaging techniques; at least five full peer reviewed papers in ISI accredited scientific journals as first or senior author if a specialist.
- Four years’ veterinary experience with three years’ experience in predominantly Veterinary Diagnostic Imaging
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Proven knowledge and competence in Diagnostic Imaging;
- Research interest appropriate to the position;
- Commitment to develop a teaching and learning portfolio required at the relevant teaching level.
- Candidates without a PhD: Commitment to obtain a PhD in a reasonable period of time;
- Good language and communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills; and
- Generic teaching competence including proficiency with presentation, word-processing and spreadsheet software.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Experience with relevant specialised procedures, techniques and tools, e.g. software;
- Tertiary teaching and mentoring experience; and
- Exposure to research in an appropriate field.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research); and
- Self-evaluation, which must address each of the minimum requirements and required competencies above. Applications that do not include these in the evaluation may be rejected.
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Prof Amelia Goddard, Tel: (012) 529 8260; email@example.com.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 16 June 2021, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference will be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right not to fill the advertised positions.