School of Sport, Exercise and Rehabilitation Sciences
University of Birmingham, Dubai campus
Location: Dubai, UAE
Closing date: 22 April 2021
University of Birmingham Dubai
Having established ourselves in Dubai International Academic City in 2018 we are now moving to a new and exciting phase of our development with the opening of our new state-of-the-art campus in September 2021. This post represents an excellent opportunity to join an ambitious World Top 100 University as we continue to grow our long-term strategic mission in Dubai, the UAE and the wider region. Our campus reflects the very best of Birmingham through our presence in Dubai.
The School of Sport, Exercise and Rehabilitation Sciences, at the University of Birmingham, is a vibrant interdisciplinary school that performs world-leading translational research in all aspects of Sport, Exercise and Rehabilitation. We address societal challenges from multidisciplinary perspectives through impactful research that enriches our degree programmes.
We are seeking to appoint a full-time lecturer to make a substantial contribution to our education portfolio on the University’s Dubai Campus, UAE. The post holder will be involved in the development of our educational offering on the Dubai campus and contribute to the delivery of our internationally renowned MSc Physical Education and Wellbeing, and MSc Sport Coaching programmes. The appointed individual will also be expected to make a contribution to the management and administration within the School (Edgbaston campus).
The School of Sport, Exercise and Rehabilitation Sciences, holds Athena SWAN Silver status and is committed to promoting equality, diversity and inclusivity. We welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds to join our global community.
The University of Birmingham holds Advance HE Race Equality Charter and Athena Swan Charter bronze awards and is a Stonewall Global Diversity Champion. Further information about working at the University of Birmingham, including information about employee benefits and childcare provision is at https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/staff/index.aspx
The post holder will be expected to contribute to the whole range teaching and administration activities within the School of Sport, Exercise and Rehabilitation Sciences, helping to deliver the School’s vision of aspirational researchers leading inspirational learning.
The appointed candidate will contribute to the delivery of teaching of the highest quality in Sport Pedagogy. Through collaboration across disciplinary areas within the School, they will deliver impactful education within the field of sport pedagogy. Based on the University’s Dubai campus, the post holder will contribute to the delivery of MSc programmes in Physical Education and Wellbeing, and Sport Coaching, alongside the development and management of modules and programmes across the school (Edgbaston Campus).
Working in close collaboration with faculty on the University’s Edgbaston campus, the appointee will be expected to contribute to activities within the School and will be provided with opportunities to develop their leadership across the wider School of Sport, Exercise and Rehabilitation Sciences.
We encourage applications from individuals with research and teaching experience in all areas of sport pedagogy, including but not limited to: physical education, sport coaching, wellbeing promotion, physical activity education, health-related pedagogies, sport systems, teacher and coach education, fitness instruction, and technology-enhanced education.
Learning and Teaching
To use a variety of methods in teaching and advising individuals and groups of undergraduates, postgraduates, or CPD students. Where appropriate this may include:
- Teaching and examining courses at a range of levels
- Planning and reviewing own teaching approaches
- Development of module proposals and making contributions to the design of teaching programmes more widely in the School
- Use of appropriate approaches to learning and teaching in their field
- Devising and supervising projects, student dissertations and practical work
To contribute to School administration, this may include:
- Contribution to the administration/management of teaching across the School
- Contribution to devising and implementing new and/or revised teaching processes.
- Contribution to the development of external relationships with key stakeholders in sport pedagogy.
- Apply knowledge in a way that develops intellectual understanding
- Make contributions to knowledge transfer into sport pedagogy environments.
Learning and Teaching
To contribute at a senior level on a sustained basis in learning and teaching. Where appropriate, this may include:
- Leading the design and co-ordination of programmes or equivalent activities across the School
- Developing programme proposals and making substantial contributions to the design of teaching programmes more widely in the School
- Leading substantial and sustained high value impact activity in knowledge transfer and enterprise (including business engagement, public engagement) that enhances the student experience and/or employability. This may include the development of industrial links and comparable networks and initiatives
- Teaching and examining courses at a range of levels
- Planning and reviewing own teaching approaches and acting as a mentor to encourage others to do the same
- Using appropriate approaches to learning and teaching in their field
To lead activities in the School and where appropriate to sit on University committees or working groups. This may include:
- Making an important contribution to the development and running of the School, for example, leading activity on teaching assessment and/or on research
- Developing and managing staff and resources in support of major research and/or teaching activities
- Making important contributions to the development of the School’s research strategy and/or learning and teaching strategy
- Contributing significantly to the development and delivery of knowledge transfer, enterprise, business engagement and public engagement activities with a sustained high-value impact
- Contribution to the administration/management of research and/or teaching across the School
- Supervise and examine PhD students, both within the institution and externally
- Make substantial contributions to knowledge transfer into Sport Pedagogy environments
Skills and experience required
- Doctoral qualification in a related area.
- Experience of post-graduate supervision at Masters level in projects related to sport pedagogy
- Experience of leading, delivering and assessing undergraduate and postgraduate learning and teaching
- Ability to enhance own educational delivery through reviewing own teaching.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to design, deliver, assess and revise teaching modules.
- Excellent academic writing skills
- Excellent organisation and time-management skills
- Ability to assess and organise resources effectively
- Experience of developing online learning materials and resources to support module delivery
- Experience of post-graduate supervision at doctoral level
- Evidence of contributing to the development of successfully funded research projects
- Understanding of and ability to contribute to broader management/administration processes
- Knowledge of the protected characteristics of the Equality Act 2010, and how to actively ensure in day to day activity in own area that those with protected characteristics are treated equally and fairly.
- Doctoral qualification in a related area
- Experience and achievement in education in an area related to Sport Pedagogy
- Ability to work flexibly across different global time zones
Demonstrated excellence in Learning and Teaching, and Management and Administration.
Learning and teaching requirements
An excellent teaching profile and performance in terms of both impact and quality. The teaching quality demonstrated to be informed by an appropriate level of scholarship. Evidence of success under the following headings:
- High national reputation for the development of teaching and learning excellence within the discipline
- Successful and sustained use of a range of appropriate teaching methods, and assessment strategies that promote high quality learning, including learning that is flexible, distinctive and current and stimulates learners’ natural curiosity
- Significant and sustained contribution to one or more of the following: strategic development of new programmes; approaches to learning; the development of learning resources
- Track record of substantial and sustained high value impact on the enhancement of the student experience, and/or employability
Management and administration-related requirements
Demonstrated significant achievement in management and administration-related activities, which may include leadership of activities/initiatives. Evidence of success under the following headings
- Successful and sustained performance in significant administrative/managerial role (s)
- Significant and sustained high quality innovative contributions to the management/administration
- Successful and sustained contribution to the corporate life of the School/University, displaying willingness to contribute actively to committees, collaborative teaching and administrative tasks
- Active promotion of equality, diversity, and inclusivity to internal and external stakeholders
- Able to use data to identify equality and diversity issues
Experience of developing interventions to address equality, diversity and inclusivity issues
In return, you will receive a competitive package and be a key part of an expanding and ambitious University as we develop our international reputation and global footprint.
This is a full-time post, based in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
The University of Birmingham is an Athena Swan Bronze award holder and committed to providing a supportive work environment for our staff and providing equal opportunities in our recruitment process.
We welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds and will take flexible working option into consideration during the process.
Further details relating to this position as well as our developing Dubai Campus can be found at http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/dubai/work-with-us/index.aspx
For informal enquiries, please contact Dr Matt Bridge - email email@example.com (Birmingham) and Dr Anthony Murphy, Programme Director/Senior Lecturer in Psychology - email firstname.lastname@example.org (Dubai)
Valuing excellence, sustaining investment
We value diversity at the University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community