Lecturer or Associate Professor in Control and Robotics
You will join a very active department, school and faculty with inter-disciplinary research interests across all areas of Aeronautics and Astronautics where fundamental and industrially relevant problems are addressed with theoretical, experimental, and computational methods. The Department is part of the School of Engineering where complementary work in aerodynamics and propulsion, battery technologies, autonomous aerial and underwater vehicles, computational engineering and design, mechatronics, materials science, and additive manufacturing are carried out. The school has recently made major investments in new experimental facilities across different departments in experimental aerodynamics, propulsion, structural mechanics, material science and additive manufacturing. The University is also home to the Trustworthy Autonomous Systems Hub, which is a cross-faculty initiative based in School of Electronics and Computer Science.
In order to broaden and enhance the diversity of our department it would be highly desirable if you had a background and experience in the following:-
- research experience and future plans in control and robotics
- academic reputation demonstrated by high quality journal publications
- able to work well in a diverse team and can contribute to building an inclusive department
- demonstrate an interest/ability to develop and deliver modules with innovative teaching and assessment approaches
- demonstrate caring and approachable leadership and can support students (UG/PG) and colleagues
- participate in collegial activities relevant to the department (open days, outreach activities etc).
For details about the department and the different research groups, please visit: https://www.southampton.ac.uk/engineering/what_we_do/aeronautics_and_astronautics.page#overview
For more information about our undergraduate programmes, please visit: https://www.southampton.ac.uk/courses/aeronautics-and-astronautics-degree-meng#modules
We would value research and teaching interests/experience in Control and Robotics, ideally within the following areas:
- Single/swarms of autonomous vehicles and/or satellites
- Flight dynamics and control of rotorcraft and applications in urban air mobility
- Hybrid electric propulsion and associated applications
- Machine learning or data-driven methods for control
- Human-machine interactions
All applications should include a research statement (vision and grant capture over next 5 years), a teaching statement highlighting areas of interest and ideas for innovation in education and a diversity statement addressing your commitment to equality, diversity, and inclusivity in higher education.
The online application form will also require you enter text-based answers relevant to the above three statements. Please upload documents of above three statements (no more than 1 page per statement) and provide a summary of these statements in the textboxes.
For informal enquiries, please contact Head of Department, Prof. Bharathram Ganapathisubramani, email@example.com.
The University of Southampton is in the top 1% of world universities and in the top 10 of the UK’s research-intensive universities. Equality, diversity and Inclusion is central to the ethos in the University and within School of Engineering. We particularly encourage women, Black, Asian and minority ethnic, LGBTQ+ and disabled applicants to apply for this position. In recognition of our continued commitment to improving equality for women in science we were awarded an Athena SWAN bronze in 2013 and 2016. We also give full consideration to applicants that wish to work flexibly including part-time and due consideration will be given to applicants who have taken a career break. The University has a generous maternity policy (subject to qualifying criteria) and onsite childcare facilities.
We aim to be an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all sections of the community.