University of Birmingham Dubai
The development and opening of our Dubai Campus in September 2018 has marked us out as the first global top 100 and Russell Group University to establish a campus in Dubai. Initially we are offering a range of undergraduate and postgraduate programmes, including Economics, Teacher Education, Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering and Business. Our ambition over the next ten years is to grow the University of Birmingham Dubai to around 4,500 students studying on a full range of programmes; and to establish an active programme of research.
Over the next 5 years we will be establishing a sector leading campus at the heart of Dubai’s rapidly developing international educational hub with the talent, creativity and tenacity that will help realise our ambition, strength, and commitment to being an outstanding global university.
The new University of Birmingham Dubai Campus is located in Dubai International Academic City (DIAC), a dedicated site hosting 25 international universities and colleges located in easy reach of the internationally renowned Dubai business district and 23 km from centre of Dubai. The University of Birmingham Dubai exemplifies the qualities and values we have championed for more than a century. We collaborate with partners across the world to create ground-breaking research, deliver innovative teaching and create opportunities for staff and students to gain international experience. There has never been a more exciting time to become a part of the University of Birmingham and to join our mission to deliver a world-class British university education in the global city and international hub of Dubai.
School of Education
The original Department of Education was founded in 1896 and became the School of Education in 1947. It is one of the largest research-led schools of education in the UK employing over 100 academic staff who teach more than 2,500 students. It is also home to a number of departments and research centres.
- Ranked 19th in the Guardian University League Tables 2019
- Ranked 5th in the 2019 Complete University Guide
- In Top 6 for HEI provision in the Good Teacher Training Guide 2017
- Ranked 39th in the World and 10th in Europe in the 2018 QS World Rankings
- More than 82% of its research was rated as ‘internationally excellent’ (3*) or ‘world leading’ (4*) in the 2014 REF
- Rated 'outstanding' in latest Ofsted inspection (2013) for its Teacher Training programmes
- Ranked fifth for Education in The Times Good University Guide 2018
Department of Teacher Education
The University of Birmingham’s Department of Teacher Education is seeking to appoint a Dubai based Lecturer (Teaching focused) in Education. This is an exciting opportunity for experienced teacher educators / educators to play a key role for the School of Education as Secondary Arabic Programme leader at the Dubai campus. You will work closely with the Edgbaston Campus, UK, to lead on the development and delivery of our postgraduate ML Arabic programmes, both initial teacher education and CPD, as well as contribute to the management, leadership and enterprise activities of the school. Alongside this you will support the development and implementation of our external presence in the region establishing networks with local schools and within the KHDA and Ministry of Education.
We genuinely want colleagues who join us to be able to flourish and develop their academic career here. We will offer a structured induction session in Dubai supplemented at a later date with an additional short induction programme in the UK. You will also have an academic mentor who you will meet regularly. We offer developmental programmes to assist you develop your career further.
This post is for a qualified professional to develop and lead the programme of Arabic Education on the Dubai Secondary PGCE Arabic courses and to lead on the Arabic element of primary PGCE programmes, to supervise Masters students and to make a contribution to the overall strategic activities of the School of Education. You will contribute to the whole range of teaching and administration.
Teaching is likely to include a substantial contribution to:
(a) the development of the new PGCE Arabic programme for trainee teachers , (including programme/module review), delivery of the Arabic subject studies teaching and assessment and (b) enhancement of the student experience or employability.
The person appointed will be expected to take up responsibility for the new Dubai PGCE Secondary Arabic programme commencing in January 2020. They will be supported by a broader teacher education team.
They will also investigate, propose and develop new opportunities in the broad area of Education CPD in Dubai.
Learning and Teaching
- Developing the Arabic subject studies programme, and making substantial contributions to the design of the PGCE teaching programmes more widely;
- Using a variety of methods in teaching and advising individuals and groups of postgraduates, or CPD students, including (as appropriate):
- Planning and reviewing your own teaching approaches and encouraging others to do the same;
- Teaching and examining courses at a range of levels
- Where appropriate, undertaking and developing the full range of responsibilities in relation to supervision, marking and examining;
- Developing and advising others on learning and teaching tasks and methods;
- Developing and making substantial contributions to knowledge transfer, enterprise, business engagement, public engagement activities or similar on own specialism that enhances the student experience or employability and which benefits the College and University;
- Contributing to Departmental/School administration, including:
- Contributing to the administration/management of research and/or teaching across the Department/School;
- Undertaking the role of programme lead for the Arabic PGCE
- Leading and managing a team to devise and implement a new and/or revised process (e.g. new programme or a recruitment drive);
- Advising on personal development of students;
- Making a major contribution to some administrative activities within the University (e.g. appeals panels, working groups);
- Managing enterprise, business development, and public engagement activities;
- Developing and making substantial contributions to knowledge transfer, enterprise, business engagement, public engagement, widening participation, schools outreach within the area of Arabic education studies.
Applications are sought from people with a background in Arabic studies and experience of teaching Arabic at the secondary phase and who have a passion, commitment and enthusiasm for working with trainee teachers and with professionals in-service. The post would be suitable for people at different stages of their career. The role will include administrative and teaching responsibilities.
- Good first degree in Arabic/ Arabic Education
- Fluency in written and spoken Arabic and English
- Higher Degree relevant to the subject area (usually PhD although a Masters degree is acceptable ) or equivalent qualifications;
- PGCE (QTS) BEd, or QTS by other route;
- Ability to develop the subject content for the new PGCE at Masters level through experience within higher education settings of module development;
- Successful track record and experience of teaching Arabic in a secondary school, preferably within the UAE or Middle East
- Held a managerial role within a Languages department;
- Experience of leading in-service work, at least within their own department and ideally to other professionals;
- Experience of Initial Teacher Education either as a mentor to student teachers in schools or as a tutor in a Higher Education Institute;
- Good teaching and presentational skills;
- Observation and tutorial skills appropriate to ITE;
- Research interests in Languages and Education;
- Computing skills and understanding of ICT solutions to teaching and learning;
- Ability to work flexibly as a member of a team and to take initiatives;
- Willingness to contribute to and develop cross disciplinary research and teaching;
- Commitment to equal opportunities and democratic means of academic planning and working together;
- Commitment to become (if not already) a fellow of the Higher Education Association (HEA).
- Ability to design, deliver, assess and revise Arabic teacher education programmes
- Extensive experience and demonstrated success in developing appropriate approaches to learning and teaching, and advising colleagues
- Experience and success in knowledge transfer, enterprise and similar activity that enhances the student experience or employability
- Ability to contribute to School/Departmental management processes
- Ability to assess and organise resources effectively
- Understanding of and ability to contribute to broader management/administration processes
In return you will receive a competitive package and be a key part of an expanding and ambitious University as we develop our international reputation and global footprint.
This post is based in Dubai. The University of Birmingham is an Athena Swan Bronze award holder and committed to providing a supportive work environment for our staff and providing equal opportunities in our recruitment process.
Further details relating to this position as well as our developing Dubai Campus can be found at http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/dubai/work-with-us/index.aspx
The closing date for applications is 30th August 2019.
Potential applicants seeking further information about the post are invited to contact Dr Christine Szwed e-mail: email@example.com