FACULTY OF LAW
DEPARTMENT OF JURISPRUDENCE
LECTURER / SENIOR LECTURER (ONE POST)
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The Department of Jurisprudence strives to be a vibrant centre of analytical, critical and creative thinking about law and adheres to the values of dignity, equality, freedom, democracy, transformation, accountability and transparency.
The incumbent will be responsible for
- teaching in all modules offered by the Department of Jurisprudence at both undergraduate and postgraduate level;
- conducting academic and scholarly research;
- engaging with the community through teaching, supervision and research that is embedded in and responsive to the South African social context;
- having an in-depth understanding of own specialisation to enable development of new knowledge, innovation and understanding within the field;
- supervising master’s and doctoral students;
- mentoring students at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels;
- academic administration and management; and
- performing other duties as delegated by Head of the Department.
- LLM/MPhil degree (preferably by full dissertation) in the discipline of Jurisprudence/ Legal Philosophy/Legal Theory/Legal History;
- At least one year teaching, tutoring or related experience in a tertiary educational institution;
- At least two publications in a peer-reviewed journal or academic/scholarly book in the past two years.
- LLM/MPhil (preferably by full dissertation) and LLD/DPhil degree in the field of Jurisprudence/Legal Philosophy/Legal Theory/Legal History;
- In the absence of a LLD/DPhil degree, registration for a doctoral degree with proof of substantive progress towards completion;
- At least five years’ teaching experience including curriculum development at a tertiary educational institution;
- At least eight substantial publications in peer-reviewed journals or academic/scholarly book with at least three of the eight publications having been published in the past three years;
- Postgraduate supervision/teaching experience;
- Participation in academic conferences, seminars and workshops.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
At both levels:
- Ability to work independently and as part of a dynamic team.
- Appropriate communication skills.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
Any additional relevant qualifications and experience.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED medical aid scheme and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
30 June 2018
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
Prof JV van der Westhuizen/Mrs S Slabbert, Tel: (012) 420 3756
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 August 2018, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference will be given, but consideration will not be limited, to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.