In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The purpose of this job is to assist students in the University of Pretoria’s Extended Curriculum programmes at the Mamelodi Campus to become sufficiently academically literate in order to cope with the demands of university studies, by means of lectures, consultations, and supplementary subject-specific material for the Language and Study Skills (LST) module.
The successful candidate’s responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Access and successful student learning:
- Lecture LST content in the UP Extended Curriculum programmes;
- Prepare for LST lectures in the UP Extended Curriculum programmes;
- Consult with students who need additional support in the UP Extended Curriculum programmes;
- Set assignments, tests and exams;
- Mark semester assignments, semester tests, and examinations (approximately 17 hours per week);
- Facilitate administration of student evaluation;
- Develop suitable teaching material;
- Collaborate with staff members on education research and innovation in teaching and learning;
- Research and international profile:
- Conduct research in the field of academic literacy (or related field), and publish on this research;
- Attend conferences (provided funding can be secured) and in-house workshops and training to improve knowledge in the field of academic literacy, and network with other people in this field;
- Optimise Resources/Enhance sustainability:
- Create material, as directed by the course coordinator or as self-identified as important, for classes, workbooks, and online platforms, in order to optimise the teaching of LST by means of a blended learning model;
- Transformed/Inclusive social responsiveness and impact in society:
- Participate in the planning and implementation of subject assignments aimed at integrating learning with the community in which the Mamelodi Campus is located (either at micro- or macro- level), in order to practically apply subject outcomes to society/the community;
- Liaise with stakeholders in other subjects and/or faculties, or potentially the wider Mamelodi community, to enhance projects such as the above;
- Identify at-risk and vulnerable students, and intervene directly or direct the student to necessary support services, in order to enhance a transformed, inclusive and equitable university community;
- Perform administration related to the effective running of the LST subject, such as:
- Attending meetings (for the subject as well as the Extended Curriculum programmes);
- Creating and maintaining registers and mark sheets;
- Administering day-to-day information on ClickUP;
- Making copies;
- Compiling and revising subject-related documentation such as study guides, curriculum documents, year planners, and other LST-specific documentation;
- On a rotational basis, perform administrative duties necessary for the effective running of LST (additional teaching will be required if none of these duties are assigned in a year):
- Management and training of LST tutors;
- Management of ClickUP;
- Management of McGraw-Hill platforms;
- Coordinating administrative issues such as the taking of minutes, liaising with facilities management or IT-services, creating staff lists, managing sick notes etc.
- Master’s degree in academic literacy, linguistics, applied linguistics, applied language studies, English, or a related field;
- One year experience in teaching or tutoring academic literacy or a related field (part-time will be considered).
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Understanding the field of academic literacy, and/or teaching English to speakers of other languages;
- High proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) to develop material, administrate class lists and marks, work out student marks, and create presentations;
- Ability to use ClickUP effectively as part of a blended learning strategy;
- Ability to use other online platforms effectively as part of an blended learning strategy;
- Willingness to collaborate with fellow lecturers, so as to work together as a cohesive team;
- Patience and understanding towards students who are at-risk, and who might need additional guidance;
- Commitment to completing work on time and to a high standard, as per due dates set by course coordinator;
- Dedication to producing work of excellent quality that will contribute to the advancement of LST in the UP Extended Curriculum programmes.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- PhD in academic literacy, linguistics, applied linguistics, applied language studies, English, or a related field;
- Two years’ experience in lecturing academic literacy at a tertiary institution.
PLEASE NOTE that all shortlisted applicants will be required to participate in a relevant skills assessment as part of the selection process.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
CLOSING DATE: 2 February 2021
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: firstname.lastname@example.org for application-related enquiries, and email@example.com for enquiries relating to the post content.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 March 2021, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.