The University of Birmingham is one of the most ambitious institutions in the UK and we are determined to be placed in the global top 50, with investment and strategic plans in place to enable us to achieve our objectives. We are looking for a talented and committed individual to support the Deputy Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Strategic Projects), and others in the academic community, in the development of major research projects and partnerships, including those involving business and government, nationally and overseas. The post holder will work closely with the Deputy Pro-Vice-Chancellor (DPVC) to identify and respond to external funding opportunities.
The post will formally report into the Head of EU and International Research Support (Head of section) and, working with the DPVC, will help initiate and deliver the development of major strategic research projects and activities. The role, in addition to primarily supporting the DPVC, will on occasion be required to provide expert strategic support to the University’s Executive Board and Senior Management teams in the appropriate Colleges, and leadership to academic and Professional Services teams in developing proposals and business cases for securing major investments for research and innovation. Many of these research projects will be multi-disciplinary, cross-College and multi-partner in nature, including with industry. The post-holder will be expected to support strategic relationships with a number of key funding and stakeholder bodies and partner organisations nationally and internationally. Leadership, facilitation, tact, collaborative working and negotiation are key capabilities for this post.
The EU & International Research Support team is within Research Support Services (RSS) and is based at the Birmingham Research Park. RSS is a unit of Finance and supports research across the University through local teams based in the Colleges (College Research Support teams) and specialist teams (focussing on aspects such as EU & International, Regional and Innovation funding sources, as well as research contracts, finance, ethics and governance).
- Analyse, review and develop current and future strategic partnerships.
- Undertake frequent horizon scanning business intelligence and analyses - maintain an awareness of the funding and wider political, economic and social environment.
- Identify opportunities and threats that inform new strategic directions and share this information accordingly, making recommendations about how to exploit new opportunities or to manage possible threats.
- Feed into (internal and external) policy consultations and other University discussions of strategic importance relevant to the development and expansion of research capabilities.
- Produce high quality written papers/reports and presentations for a range of audiences including University Senior Leadership, College Senior Management Teams; RSS colleagues; and academics on a wide range of topic areas associated with the wider responsibilities of the role.
- An honours degree, and preferably a PhD or equivalent R&D or commercial experience; preferably in an engineering, physical or life sciences discipline.
- Proven experience of managing multiple complex projects and conflicting deadlines and priorities; training, or a qualification in, project management
- Proven ability to operate effectively in dynamic team environments, balancing the ability for independent working with strong and effective collaborative team working
- Extensive relationship management experience, working at senior levels within organisations, including with industry. Experience of working in an overseas environment is desirable.
- Experience of developing successful business models/ business cases for funding especially with partner organisations such as industry and significant experience of working in an R&D environment building and leading multi-faceted teams and managing the development of large and complex multi-disciplinary proposals.
- Extensive knowledge of the key academic and external drivers for research, development and innovation with appreciation of international funding and policy environment.
- Knowledge and awareness of (some of) the key discipline areas at the University of Birmingham
Informal Enquiries to Xavier Rodde, email@example.com