As an Interdisciplinary chair you will be expected to lead, develop and propose significantly strategic research across two or more Schools, whilst maintaining generic Chair responsibilities.
The responsibilities are likely to include some but not all of the activities outlined below.
- Through original, recent and published research of international excellence, maintain and further develop an international reputation as a research leader across interdisciplinary areas. Where appropriate lead research and collaborative partnerships with other educational institutions or other external bodies and promote and market the work of both Schools.
- Lead and support funding bids that develop and sustain research support for your specialist areas and advance the reputation of the academic units as well as the University.
- Lead the process of acquiring, analysing and interpreting research data, knowledge and information, ensuring appropriate techniques, approaches, models and methods are selected, developed or devised for the purpose.
- Participate in and organise national and/or international workshops and conferences to further disseminate and explain research findings.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of research strategy within your disciplines.
Learning and Teaching
- Contribute to and/or lead the development of the curriculum in own area, demonstrate innovative/leading edge approaches to learning that achieve the educational standards of the School/ Departments and, where appropriate, professional bodies. Disseminate best practise in teaching and learning methodologies within and outside the University.
- Deliver a minimum of one undergraduate course in the specified fields and maximise on opportunities to also develop one post graduate programme.
- Plan and lead the development and implementation of research strategy within your discipline. Develop and communicate a clear vision of the academic unit/University’s strategic direction and ensure the delivery of University strategic plans within area of responsibility.
- Chair committees and participate in University decision making and governance, and contribute to the development of academic policies across the University.
- Provide intellectual leadership of the School’s academic community, providing direction and mentoring for less experienced colleagues of the academic communities of one or more schools. Lead, appoint, manage and develop individuals and/or teams to deliver the research and/or teaching plans. Foster inter-disciplinary team working to develop team spirit and team coherence.
- Take responsibility for the management and resolution of student and/or team issues drawing on specialist advice and support as required.
- Take responsibility for the organisation and deployment of resources within area of responsibility.
- Contribute to the running and strategic direction and development of the University through designated committees or project activities.
- Participate on national and international bodies; act as an advisor to government and in any other external advisory capacity; contribute to the development of higher education processes in the UK.
Candidates will be highly successful and well established Professors with a recognised international research reputation and demonstrable experience of academic leadership and management.
Skills and Experience
- Well established at Professorial level
- Extensive and high level international research and teaching experience.
- Demonstrable experience of generating and developing research funding.
- Experience of clear and focused research in 2 or more interlinking disciplines.
- Membership of a professional body where appropriate
- A sustained record of invited talks at international conferences/ events and UK Higher Education Institutions.
- Membership of editorial boards.
- Reviewer for national and international research bodies.
- Evidence of effective links with research partners.
- A sustained record of scholarly output of international excellence over career to date, which includes a significant potential contribution to REF indicatively at a 4 * level judged against current national criteria.
- Sustained record of successful completed postgraduate research supervision to doctoral level.
- Sustained track record of success in knowledge creation and exchange to improve the performance of business and wider stakeholders e.g. IP commercialisation or public or cultural engagement or policy development in public institutions
- Extensive experience of fostering academic collaboration across interdisciplinary boundaries
- Experience of mentoring research activity of junior staff;
- A reputation for excellence in teaching demonstrated through suitable teaching performance indicators
- Identification of new areas of research led teaching
- Commitment to the promotion of equal opportunities
- Membership of appointment, assessment or advisory committees at other HEI’s.
- A record as a “good citizen” who recognises the need to foster collegiate endeavour and a sense of academic fellowship;
- Experience of providing expert advice to colleagues, students and external bodies (e.g., local and central government);
- A record of leadership in supporting and managing academic staff
Planning and Organising
- Skills in managing projects and working collaboratively with fellow scholars
- Experience of resource planning and management
- Ability in strategic planning, showing effective implementation and evaluation
- A record of organising effective, new and original research programmes
- Solve problems creatively and effectively
- Develop research ideas
- Decide how to develop and undertake research strategy
- Decide where and when to present research findings and what publications and conferences to target for this purpose
- Experience of working within global networks
- Evidence of agenda setting in research through e.g. participation/advisory roles in professional or government bodies.
- Engagement with external bodies to enhance national or international standing of the discipline
- Successful collaboration with other Universities
For further information please email: firstname.lastname@example.org