The Head of School reports to the Head of College. By virtue of his/her scholarship the Head of School is first and foremost an inspiring academic leader. Whilst the breadth of our Schools vary, both in terms of discipline variety and numbers of colleagues employed, the behaviours and capabilities required of Heads of School are common and are characterised by the commitment, drive and collaborative spirit that should underpin all leadership activities at the University of Birmingham.As is the fact that s/he is responsible for the delivery of academic, financial and people management of the School and that the Head of School is a member of the College Board.
The Head of School will develop the academic vision, student experience, provide managerial leadership and sustain the highest levels of excellence across all of the School’s activities
- Scholar with academic credibility among peers with an enviable track record for your research in a Chemistry related discipline
- Ideally PhD level or equivalent in Chemistry or a related discipline
- Drive and ability to articulate a vision that inspires others to follow
- Ability to demonstrate a commitment to outstanding education, proven leadership and management credentials
- Delivers on commitments; resilience to stand by decisions and see them enacted
- The big picture of University and college strategy and local disciplinary concerns can sometimes seem to be pulling in different directions.S/he is comfortable working in both these arenas, sees synergies and is persuasive in moving issues on using sound judgement at all times