Head of Data Science Education
At Pearson College London we’ve come a long way in a short space of time; We continually innovate and the College and our students have been nominated for several awards, including the CIM’s Marketing Excellence Awards 2018, the Times Higher Education Awards 2017 for Business School of the Year and Outstanding University Entrepreneurship Award, the HEIST Awards 2017 for Best Marketing Team, Best Prospectus from a Specialist Institution and Best Website. Our Escape Studios undergraduate degrees team received a Collaborative Award for Teaching Excellence (CATE) finalist certificate recognising our collaboration with industry to develop the programmes for the benefit of our students who are now benefiting from the innovative approach to course development.
We are real world ready; We collaborate with industry, thought leaders and experts to anticipate industry needs. We create experiences that develop savvy, work-ready graduates, who are ready for the real-world - today and tomorrow. We are transformative; We’re transforming and disrupting HE and industry. We challenge the status-quo. We are engaged and curious; We are constantly engaged and curious about changing industries, and learning by doing. We are proud to offer an exceptional and supportive environment to develop your professional career!
We’re part of Pearson Plc, the world’s learning company with more than 22,500 employees operating in 70 countries and we believe in the power of difference. We believe in the power of difference. Harnessing the unique skills, perspectives, and backgrounds of every employee helps us foster innovation and create the most effective solutions for learners around the world. That’s why we’re committed to ensuring that diversity and inclusion are embedded into everything we do. We foster a work environment that’s inclusive and diverse — and where our people can be themselves — so we can reflect the customers and learners we serve. You can learn more about our diverse and inclusive culture here. (https://pearson.jobs/pearson-life/#diversity)
- Head of Data Science Education
- Based in Central London, High Holborn (interim work from home through COVID-19 restrictions)
- Permanent & full-time working 37.5 hours per week
Pearson College London is a small, specialist Higher Education (HE) institution which offers programmes designed, developed and delivered in close cooperation with industry, with employability being at the heart of its mission. The current offer comprises of a suite of programmes in business and the creative industries which have a reputation for delivering in-demand graduates with a diverse range of highly successful alumni. We provide a highly vocational, industry-focused experience, offering our students the chance to develop the skills they need to graduate ready to start their careers. Bringing together the business focus of Pearson Business School and the technology-centred Escape Studios, we are developing new courses and programmes in the area of Data Science. We are now looking to appoint an experienced individual to lead the development and delivery of these programmes.
This is a newly created position which offers an exciting and unique career opportunity! You’ll be responsible for overall leadership and development of the Data Science discipline and related subject areas, the associated staff and programmes of study. Working closely with our academic and Student Services/Student Experience teams, you’ll ensure that the College’s objectives and targets are met in respect to programme development/delivery and ongoing staff development, which will allow us to deliver the highest quality student learning experience and that subject areas are up to date and industry-relevant at all times.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Work with the Deans and other members of staff to develop and deliver the high quality subject specific training and education.
- Lead and manage the strategic development of your subject and associated programmes; preparing supporting documentation for internal and external approval, delivery and review.
- Line management of specific discipline tutors (staff and freelance); setting goals, directing tutors and communicating a clear vision of what is to be achieved overall by the team.
- Deliver courses to students in a classroom environment and through the online learning system or any other medium as may be utilised.
- Providing one-to-one and online feedback, mentoring and support to students with a range of backgrounds and abilities.
- Responsible for providing the direction for the ongoing scholarship, research and development of course content and industry tools and techniques to ensure highest quality and industry relevance of the offer.
- Collaborative, team-based and individual work on course development projects for both classroom and online training.
- Ensure that all specific subject tutors are delivering high levels of student satisfaction by addressing issues identified by internal and external review and student feedback.
- Oversee the development of the subject staff to build an aligned, high performance team; developing others through identification of training needs, mentoring and encouraging personal development and monitoring performance, giving feedback and guidance.
- Ensure that external relationships are fostered and that appropriate input is sought on curriculum and learning outcomes; manage and develop links with external organisations relevant to the subject such as industry partners, professional and accrediting bodies.
- Cooperate with the Marketing, Sales and Recruitment teams to support and participate in promotional and business development activities.
- To act as a professional, positive and high-profile representative of Pearson College.
Our Successful Candidate
We welcome applicants with substantial experience in Data Science or a closely related field. Your track record should show innovation across a range of projects, demonstrating a commitment to continuous improvement and delivering high quality outputs in a professional and/or academic setting. You’ll demonstrate knowledge of the latest developments in the field and be up to date with the challenges facing the sector. We are looking for an excellent communicator, with the ability to convey complex information to a wide range of audiences. We welcome leadership experience and influencing skills to successfully coordinate/measure a diverse range of activities.
A relevant teaching qualification (PGCE-HE or equivalent) or membership of Advance HE is required, although for a suitably experienced candidate, we can explore options to support you in achieving this internally if appointed. You will be contributing directly to our teaching/learning activities as well as leading academic teams in the development/delivery of the Colleges' programmes, so experience of delivery in a UK Higher Education environment is a significant advantage.
Transform your expertise to a new level - we have many interesting and dynamic projects to look forward to in 2021, therefore now is the ideal time to join our Pearson family. Apply now for a highly rewarding and truly global career!
Your Reward & Benefits
We’ll expect a lot and we know you’ll do great work, so we give a lot back with some of the best benefits in the business! We know that one size doesn’t fit all, so our workplace programmes meet the different needs of our diverse teams and their families too. Our most exciting options are featured below and when you join our Pearson family you can look forward to:
- Work from home through COVID-19 restrictions.
- A starting holiday of 25 days plus UK public holidays and you’ll earn 1 additional day’s holiday per year you work with us.
- Generous pension scheme where we match and double what you contribute.
- Maternity, paternity, and family care leave as well as flexible work policies.
- Stock/share purchase options.
- Healthcare and dental plans, and an employee wellbeing assistance programme for you and your family to help balance work, family and personal life.
- Cycle to work program, Gym membership concessions in selected office locations, along with retail and leisure discounts.
Our Recruitment Process
Please complete and submit your application as soon as possible and ensure that you apply directly on our Pearson Careers website only.
We are reviewing applications regularly and interviews are being scheduled now, therefore we encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible. Wishing you success with your application!
Pearson is an equal opportunities employer. We do not discriminate against employees or job applicants and select the best person for each job based on relevant skills and experience.
We are also committed to building an accurate picture of the make-up of the workforce and encouraging equality and diversity.
The information you provide will stay confidential, and be stored securely. It will not be seen by those involved in making decisions as part of the recruitment process.
To apply please click on the apply button below.