Centre for Teaching and Learning
Unit for Language Development
Facilitator (Units) (contract appointment: 1 year)
Job ID: 2078
Duties and responsibilities:
- Facilitate an academic literacy course in English for 4 hours per week (1 group).
- Responsible for classroom assessment of subject content (in close collaboration with the module coordinator) and marking.
- Assist students with online components of the literacy course.
- Keep student records in terms of marks and attendance and other administrative tasks in relation to facilitating.
- Keep a time schedule and meet deadlines.
- Ensure proper written and oral communication with students.
- Maintain sensitivity towards students who experience problems.
- Attend compulsory training sessions.
- English at third-year level for English classes OR appropriate qualification, e.g. TEFL/ CELTA/ TESOL.
- Good academic record.
- Excellent English language proficiency both written and spoken.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to function with ease in the University’s richly diverse working environment.
- Intermediate computer skills in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work accurately.
- Good administrative and organisational skills.
- TEFL qualification or appropriate post-graduate qualification.
- Teaching experience on an English literacy programme.
- Teaching qualification and teaching experience.
Assumption of duties:
01 February 2018
17 November 2017
The salary scale is available on request. For any further enquiries, please feel free to contact 051 401 3687/9161.
Remuneration for class and preparation is included in the hourly tariff for Facilitators and remuneration for marking can be claimed additionally.
The University reserves the right not to fill the post. The University subscribes to and applies the principles prescribed by the Employment Equity Act. Preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups, in accordance with the principles of the aforementioned act and the employee profile of the specific department/division.