Rhodes University wishes to appoint a Deputy Vice-Chancellor to lead the vibrant Research, Innovation and Strategic Partnerships portfolio. The successful candidate will capitalise on the University’s research-intensive designation and proud tradition of scholarly research inclusive of internationally-respected researchers and networks of collaborations throughout the world.
Applications are invited from all suitably qualified persons.
The Deputy Vice-Chancellor: Research, Innovation and Strategic Partnerships is a key leadership role in the University and provides critical leadership to the institution and support to the Vice-Chancellor on academic research and innovation matters. This role is responsible for providing strategic and intellectual leadership on all aspects of research and innovation, including overall responsibility for ensuring the effective, efficient and sustainable pursuit of the University’s goals in the areas of research and innovation as a centre of educational excellence. Central to the role is advancing and growing the institutional research, innovation, and creative knowledge portfolio in both scope and quality, and enhancing overall research and postgraduate performance. The incumbent of this position is responsible for providing leadership in the development and nurturing of strategic research partnerships, collaboration and strong networks at national, continental and international levels to enhance the university’s research and innovation endeavours.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Given that the individual needs a sophisticated understanding of the intellectual, social, political, and economic challenges of the Higher Education (HE) sector, they must possess the knowledge and expertise that enjoys the respect of academic colleagues, and the necessary experience to shape and drive the research agenda of a complex institution. A PhD degree and a personal research track record is a requirement.
In addition, the individual needs at least 10 years’ relevant experience in Higher Education institutions where such experience includes: -
- Operating at a senior level in a complex organisation with evidence of providing leadership in such settings;
- Active participation in key policy- and decision-making fora;
- Championing and managing transformation, preferably at the organizational/institutional level;
- Providing academic leadership either at the departmental, faculty or institutional level;
- Significant personal success as a researcher with evidence of research productivity and recognition as well as a track record of raising research funds;
- Track record of developing research capabilities in other academics and/or students with a post-graduate supervisory record;
- Track record of establishing structures, systems and/or processes to support research at the departmental, faculty or institutional level; and
- Effective management of substantial resources at either the departmental, faculty or institutional level.
For additional information in respect of the job requirements, please refer to the job profile. It is essential that prospective candidates read the job profile of this post and ensure that all relevant documentation is submitted.
VERY IMPORTANT : All applications should be submitted electronically. Candidates should submit the following documentation:
- The relevant Rhodes University application form,
- A letter of motivation which clearly describes the candidate’s suitability for the post applying for,
- A comprehensive CV,
- Certified copies of relevant educational qualifications, as well as
- Proof of membership of professional bodies.
Please apply online by accessing the Rhodes University Website. Failure to submit the required documentation will result in an application being disqualified.
Any questions or enquiries regarding the submission of an application, can be addressed to Mr Herman Saayman at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Selection Process :
The selection process that will be followed for this post may include an assessment/presentation and an interview.
Employment checks and the verification of credentials will be conducted.
Remuneration (Grade 24): Market related.
All applications will be treated in strict confidence. This post is advertised as a permanent post, but the University may opt to appoint on a fixed-term contract of not less than three-years. The University reserves the right not to proceed with the filling of the post. An application in itself does not entitle the applicant to an interview.
Candidates should note that Rhodes University has introduced a Covid-19 vaccine mandate and that staff members are required to conform to the University's conditions in this regard.
If an applicant is not contacted within 30 days from the closing date, please consider such an application unsuccessful.
Closing Date : Monday, 3 October 2022.
Please note all appointments are made in line with the requirements of the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998, as amended, the Immigration Act No. 13 of 2022 and the University’s recruitment and selection policies.