Department for education innovation
Deputy director: academic development
Peromnes post level 4
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the university of pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The university of pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
- The deputy director will report to the director: education innovation, and is responsible for:
- Strategic and operational leadership of academic development of staff and students in support of the university of pretoria’s vision, mission, and strategy, specifically with reference to the university’s holistic development and student success focus;
- Management of a portfolio that includes education consultancy, higher education research and innovation and student academic development including first-year experience starting with face-to-face and online orientation, advising, tutoring and wrap around support for donor-funded programmes;
- Human resources management for the portfolio;
- Financial management of the portfolio and additional donor grants;
- Communication and marketing relevant to the portfolio and the department.
- A relevant doctorate (e.g. Education, academic development);
- 10-15 years’ work experience, including:
- 10 years’ higher education experience as an academic or an academic support staff member that included initiatives for the academic development of students and lecturers;
- At least five years of management experience within the higher education academic development environment that included human resource and financial management;
- Knowledge of the higher education policy framework as it relates to teaching, learning and student success;
- Experience in working with student data, including data analytics, to improve student success;
- Experience in organising an orientation programme for first-year students and a comprehensive first-year experience programme;
- Experience in using the affordances of technology to promote student success, student interventions, academic staff development, research, etc.
Required competencies (skills, knowledge and behavioural attributes):
A combination of personal and professional skills aimed at conflict resolution, relationship building, management of teams, mentoring of teams and individuals, coaching of teams and individuals as well as monitoring and evaluation.
Added advantages and preferences:
- A teaching qualification;
- Research output on higher education;
- Additional qualifications or training related to the field of operations;
- Evidence of participation in national forums or collaborations that promote academic development;
- Experience of working with donors and other funders;
- Experience in policy formulation;
- Proven experience in the development and application of innovative learning strategies;
- Project management skills, qualifications or experience;
- Experience of working with the council on higher education or universities south africa or similar organisation on teaching and learning projects.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by up policy guidelines. Up subscribes to the bestmed medical aid scheme and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Closing date: 29 august 2018
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
Enquiries: prof wendy kilfoil, tel: (012) 420 2080
Should you not hear from the university of pretoria by 31 october 2018, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The university of pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the employment equity plan of the university and its employment equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The university of pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.