FACULTY OF ECONOMIC AND MANAGEMENT SCIENCES
DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMICS
DEPARTMENTAL ADMINISTRATOR A
PEROMNES POST LEVEL 9
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
This is a re-advertising. People who have previously applied do not have to apply for the post again.
The incumbent will be required to:
- Act as the personal assistant to the Head of Department;
- Liaise with the rest of the Faculty and University, on behalf of the Department;
- Provide an administrative support service to the Head of Department and academic personnel;
- Manage all Human Resource-related matters for the Department according to University policy;
- Be the information source for the Department;
- Provide financial administration for the Department;
- Manage all office facilities;
- Manage all assets in the Department.
- Manage any additional administrative activities as required by the Head of Department and academic personnel.
- Relevant three-year B degree with at least four years’ experience that includes office administration, secretarial and financial experience; OR
- Matric and an applicable three-year secretarial and/or office administration qualification and five years’ experience that includes office administration, secretarial experience and financial administration;
- Certificate of proficiency in MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint, as well as the use of internet and e-mail.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Supervisory skills;
- Applicable professional communication and language skills, both written and verbal;
- Ability to work under pressure without compromising detail and accuracy;
- Strong display of customer service acumen;
- The ability and sophistication needed to interact with internal and external stakeholders;
- Ability to prioritise work independently and handle simultaneous assignments with success and accuracy;
- Administrative skills;
- Ability to handle confidential information;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Experience in financial management and budget control.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Advanced proficiency in MS Office: Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Access;
- Experience in administering undergraduate and/or postgraduate programmes;
- Knowledge of a blended learning environment including online support (ClickUP);
- Understanding of a postgraduate research environment;
- Basic knowledge of the PeopleSoft system;
- Experience in managing the logistical arrangements for events.
PLEASE NOTE: All shortlisted candidates may be required to participate in relevant skills assessments as part of the selection process.
The total remuneration package for this position ranges from approximately R 339 540 to R 371 988 as determined by UP policy guidelines. (These amounts include the University’s contributions to standard UP benefits, namely provident fund, group life and funeral cover, but exclude contributions to medical aid, as the latter varies per employee.) UP subscribes to the BESTMED medical aid scheme and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
CLOSING DATE: 26 May 2017
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Prof S Koch, Tel: (012) 420 5285
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 July 2017, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.