Dean, Institute for Educational Development, Pakistan
Entity Institute for Educational Development
Location Karachi, Pakistan
Established in 1993, the Aga Khan University Institute for Educational Development (IED) was the first academic entity outside health sciences in the University. The Institute’s mandate is to contribute towards education reforms, with the aim of enhancing overall efficiency and effectiveness of education programmes and/or institutions in developing countries, particularly Pakistan.
IED’s vision is to remain a leading institution, demonstrating international standards of scholarship in teaching, research and service for improving the quality of education in Pakistan and other developing countries.”
The Institute aims to achieve this by:
- Serving as a 'national resource' for building institutional capacity of education systems of developing countries, especially Pakistan through conducting research, promoting scholarship, offering innovative teaching programmes and influencing education policy and practices.
- Offering quality teaching and research programmes for building capacity and enhancing the professional status of teachers, teacher educators, education managers and others, who are responsible for the implementation of educational reforms in Pakistan and other developing countries.
Reporting to the Provost, the Dean of the Institute for Educational Development is the Chief Academic and Chief Executive Officer of the Institute, a member of the University’s senior leadership team, and the primary ambassador for the Institute in the community.
The Dean plays a central role in setting strategy and overall direction for education programmes and promoting education reforms; advises the Provost; works collaboratively with and supports other leaders to achieve the University goals; ensures alignment of the Institute with University priorities; and models institutional values and competencies.
As the Chief Academic Officer of the Institute, the Dean is responsible for education and scholarship, as well as ensuring the quality and integrity of the Institute in research, teaching, outreach and community engagement. As its Chief Executive Officer, the Dean is the highest-ranking official in the Institute, with wide responsibility over its functioning and general supervision over the Institute’s direction and work.
The Dean is accountable for the creation and implementation of the Institute’s strategic plans including comprehensive budget and financial management to ensure outcomes are achieved. The strategic plans would need to take into account the situation in Pakistan where the role of teacher preparation and continuing teacher education is being reconsidered significantly with implications for future directions of IED. The Dean is the primary spokesperson and ambassador for the Institute. The Dean promotes the Institute through visibility at local, regional, national, and international events. The Dean, in collaboration with senior colleagues, oversees fundraising, communication, alumni engagement activities, and collaborates and consults with internal and external stakeholders.
The Dean will ensure that the various dimensions of the Institute culture:
- Develop in accordance with the vision and guidance of the AKU Chancellor and Board of Trustees, embodied in the mission and founding principles established for the Institute
- Reflect an institutional culture defined by innovation, sensitivity, flexibility, creativity, academic excellence, professionalism, ethics, social responsibility, synergy, confidence and energy
- Operate efflciently within specified time frames and budgets – with rigorous attention to ensuring long-term financial sustainability
- Contribute to the wider reputation, reach and priorities of the Aga Khan University and the Aga Khan Development Network to which it belongs.
The Dean works in close coordination with other University leaders to exchange knowledge and learn from other programs, while also promoting a close programmatic relationship with IED, East Africa. While retaining the unique aspects of IED, Pakistan, the Dean facilitates the University’s commitment to operating as a single integrated University, which requires enhanced harmonization between the two Institutes of Educational Development in all areas, including programmes, research, application and intervention.
The position will require some domestic and international travel.
The ideal candidate will bring outstanding academic qualifications, a record of scholarly achievement in the field of education, demonstrable administrative and leadership experience, as well as a passion for advancing teacher education, practice, research, and scholarship and improving student learning outcomes at the educator and student levels. Exposure to or experience in countries with developing economies is preferred.
- A PhD or equivalent, in a discipline related to education, on appointment or soon thereafter
- The successful candidate must be a champion of academic excellence, with demonstrable experience in the field of education, including a strong programme of research, possessing evident experience and excellence in teaching and communication, demonstrating deep commitment to service to the profession, and retaining strong networks within IED’s operating environment; the Dean must also be attuned to the needs of students, faculty, and staff
- Demonstrated understanding of education (formal, informal, and life skills) in developing country contexts, supported by a diversified network of global connections; knowledge of Pakistan is preferred.
Leadership and Vision
- Dynamic and creative, with strong leadership ability to promote innovation and contextually relevant solutions to meet the educational challenges in teacher education and education generally in Pakistan
- The ability to steer IED in charting sustainable future directions, while taking into account the changing context of teacher education globally and in Pakistan
- Involvement in the facilitation of building, articulating and pursuing a vision for a unit through to successful implementation
- Demonstrated success as a consultative, principled and transformative leader, possessing the ability to inspire and mobilize others to achieve exemplary performance and outcomes in education research, practice reform, and scholarship
- Experience building and leading a highly functioning team, with an appropriate balance of decisiveness, collegiality, and effective delegation
- Dynamic, adaptable and forward-thinking leader with demonstrated ability to drive innovation and creativity, and facilitate and manage change within a large and diverse organization
- Ability to create an environment in which faculty, staff and students can thrive and are rewarded for creativity and innovation in teaching, research, and service.
- Ability to mentor faculty and create leaders of others
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate interdisciplinary synergy
- Commitment to creating a vibrant and intellectually stimulating environment for students and faculty
- Deep understanding of and commitment to inclusivity and pluralism as an ethic of respect for diversity, as well as to AKDN ethics and values.
- Record of the promotion of teamwork, collaboration and partnership
- Ability to establish, maintain and model effective working relationships with students, faculty and staff and partners outside the organization.
- Administrative experience in higher education, as as a dean, associate dean, director, or other similar leadership position
- Administrative experience in a complex, dynamic, academic or clinical environment
- Experience in budgetary and financial management and effective human resource management; including the ability to creatively and collaboratively identify and implement strategies for improved effectiveness and efficiency
- Experience mentoring new faculty for success in developing grant proposals, as well as the tenure and promotion process
- Demonstrated commitment to a collaborative and collegial management style
- Commitment to entrepreneurial thinking and the development of new and enhanced sources of funding
- Commitment to openness, transparency and accountability
- Experience communicating and implementing strategies for recruiting, retaining and developing exceptional faculty, staff and students.
Research, Scholarship and Service
- Significant practical experience in the field of education
- Commitment to interdisciplinarity, multiple ways of knowing and intellectual humility
- Clearly articulated and well-established programme of research and publications
- Commitment to a student-focused culture promoting excellence in terms of student learning, graduate student training, and the overall student experience
- Willingness to promote and embrace diverse teaching and research methodologies, including digital technologies.
- The ability to integrate research with the practice of education.
- Willingness to play an important leadership role for AKU’s activities in Pakistan, in conjunction with the Provost, including liaison with governments, donor agencies and AKDN partners
- Evidenced ability to create strategic alliances with national, regional and international institutions and relevant professional bodies to promote quality and international benchmarking in education in the region
- Demonstrated ability to understand policy and practice issues related to education distinct to the region
- Ability to advocate for the role of IED as Pakistan’s premier centre for education training, in theory, research and practice.
- Outstanding communication skills with evidenced ability to build positive relationships with external organizations and to effectively represent the interests of the Institute regionally and internationally
- Produce a wide range of high-quality written outputs for various audiences, including well targeted research reports, policy briefings, perspective pieces, blogs and other outputs.
- Ability to represent, support and advance the profession locally, regionally and internationally
- Commitment to engage in fund-raising activities for further expansion of the school’s and the University’s resource base.