Centre for Teaching and Learning
Data Manager / Analyst (post level 9)
Job ID: 1818
This post was previously advertised. All applications received in response to the previous advertisement, will automatically be considered again. Previous applicants therefore do not need to reapply.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Assist with project planning for the range of student engagement projects at the UFS (and where applicable for national research projects).
- Assist with planning for research projects within CTL.
- Assist with the development of the relevant survey instruments for the above-mentioned projects, both online and paper-and-pencil surveys.
- Collaborate with other researchers within CTL and UFS on data-related research and analysis.
- Ensure integrity of the data collected through the implementation of rigorous data management and cleaning processes.
- Participate in decision making processes related to the design, data collection, data analysis and methodology of the research projects.
- Conduct descriptive and inferential statistical analysis as needed for the above-mentioned projects.
- Collaborate with other researchers within CTL to ensure the quality and integrity of the data analysis procedures.
- Interpret results from the above-mentioned research projects and draft reports based on findings.
- Coordinate the quality assurance processes related to the research projects.
- Present findings from research in appropriate fora (including conferences and journal publications).
- Mentor and train other staff members at CTL regarding statistical analysis.
- Demonstrate understanding of a broad range of statistical models and procedures, such as descriptive statistics, bivariate approaches, linear regression, analysis of variance, non-parametric approaches, etc.
- Applicable Bachelor’s degree.
- At least two (2) years’ experience with statistical analysis and competent in the use of computerised, statistical analysis software (either SAS or SPSS).
- At least one (1) to two (2) years’ experience in data management.
- Applicable Honours/Master’s degree.
- Experience in data visualisation, i.e. Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) and Artificial Intelligence (AI).
- Experience in higher education research.
- Two (2) years’ experience in project management.
- Ability to work effectively with others, with good interpersonal skills.
- Highly organised and work well under pressure.
- Ability to work independently, as well as under supervision within a broader collaborative environment.
- Accept responsibility and show good judgment, initiative, and resourcefulness.
- Above average oral and written language competence in English.
- Advanced MS Excel knowledge.
Assumption of duties:
01 March 2017
17 January 2017
The salary scale is available on request. For any further enquiries, please feel free to contact 051 401 9339 / 3934.
The University reserves the right not to fill the post. The University subscribes to and applies the principles prescribed by the Employment Equity Act. Preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups, in accordance with the principles of the aforementioned act and the employee profile of the specific departement / division.
Applications may only be submitted online. All applications must be accompanied by the following:
- A detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter.
- Copies of qualifications (please provide the SAQA accreditation in the case of foreign qualifications).
- A copy of your identity document (ID).
Applications that are incomplete, or sent by fax or e-mail, will not be considered. Should you not be contacted within six weeks of the closing date for applications, you may assume that your application was unsuccessful.