The post holder will be based in the Advanced Imaging Core Technology Unit (CTU) managed by the Faculty of Medicine, Health and
Life Sciences. They will work under the direction of the CTU Manager to provide an effective and efficient technical service for users of the facility.
1. Provide training, support, supervision and troubleshooting for end-users regarding all aspects of the microscopy and image analysis within the CTU.
2. Assist with the maintaining equipment and supplies. This will include liaising with suppliers/service engineers to arrange repairs
and routine servicing of equipment in accordance with maintenance contracts.
3. Processing of tissues for histological staining, immunohistochemistry and transmission electron microscopy.
4. Support the CTU Manager and/or end-users with the development of new imaging applications based on knowledge and
experience. Where necessary create new Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
5. Liaise with users of the facility with regards to the use and booking of equipment.
6. Co-ordinate with Faculty clerical staff to ensure timely and efficient billing for sample preparation, microscopy and image analysis services.
7. Support end-users with data backup and archiving.
8. Assist with the organisation and delivery of educational events and workshops linked to the CTU.
9. Contribute to the development of health and safety policies and ensure compliance in order to provide a safe working environment.
10. Under the guidance of the CTU manager, actively promote the microscopy, histological and image analysis services, both within and outside of the Faculty.
11. Disseminate relevant information to members of staff associated with the CTU, Faculty and University in a timely manner.
12. Attend training courses, on- and off-site, to maintain and expand expertise relevant to the post.
13. Actively participate in outreach activities associated with the CTU.
14. Contribute to and promote a positive and professional work environment/atmosphere.
15. Carry out any other duties which are appropriate to the post as may be reasonably requested by the CTU Manager/Faculty.
Planning and Organising:
1. Prioritise own work within a general plan to meet targets and deadlines.
2. Plan future work in consultation with the CTU manager.
3. Ensure all equipment is available and properly calibrated for end-users to carry out their work.
4. Establish an appropriate schedule of training for CTU users.
Resource Management Responsibilities:
1. Take delegated responsibility for the maintenance and repair of scientific equipment.
2. Carry out training for all users that wish to use the CTU.
3. Maintain a register of CTU users.
4. Maintain a log of use for billing purposes.
Internal and External Relationships:
1. Daily contact with CTU Manager, work colleagues, University staff and students.
2. Liaison with external consultants (pharmaceutical, imaging, contract research organisations etc).
1. *Academic and/or vocational qualifications ie OND/ONC and/or NVQ level3 in relevant subject (or equivalent).
2. *3 years relevant work experience to include, a minimum of two years recent relevant hands-on experience in using or managing at least one of the following:
• Confocal microscope
• Multiphoton microscope
• Transmission Electron Microscope
3. *Experience of working to SOPs.
4. Good IT skills.
5. Specialist skills and knowledge relevant to the post.
6. Well-developed understanding of relevant regulations and procedures including Health and Safety requirements.
7. Good communication and interpersonal skills.
8. Proven ability to work with a range of individuals and groups.
9. Ability to develop and demonstrate standard equipment and techniques.
10. Ability to prioritise own work within a general plan to meet deadlines.
11. Ability to train users.
12. Ability to carry out practical laboratory tasks to a consistently high standard.
13. Analytical and problem solving skills.
14. Flexibility of working hours will be required for the role.
1. *Degree level qualification or equivalent in a relevant subject.
2. *Experience in sample preparation for histology/immunohistochemistry and/or transmission electron microscopy.
3. *Experience in the use of specialised image analysis software (e.g. Fiji, IMARIS etc).
4. *Experience in delivering technical training in advanced microscopy methods and image analysis.
5. *Experience working with laboratory animals.
6. *Experience in data management and calendar booking (e.g. data entry, collation, reporting and presentation).
7. *Experience with service provision in a CTU setting.
8. Ability to deliver work to agreed deadlines
9. Background interests that are compatible with the post.