The United Nations University Institute on Computing and Society (UNU-CS) is a research institute at the intersections of information and communication technology (ICT) and international development. UNU-CS conducts UN policy-relevant research and generates solutions, addressing key issues expressed in the UN 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development through high-impact innovations and frontier technologies. Through its research, UNU-CS encourages data-driven and evidence-based actions and policies to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals.UNU-CS is situated in Macau Special Administrative Region (S.A.R), China, and it is the only UN entity in the city. The Pearl River Delta, which embraces Macau, Hongkong and Guangdong Province, is considered an emerging Silicon Valley due to its booming economy and technological innovations. The strategic location provides an exciting opportunity for researchers and experts to maximize impact of their work.
More info can be found at https://cs.unu.edu
2019 UNU-CS Priorities
In 2019, UNU-CS will continue to communicate its value, and its relevance and impact for the UN system and Asia Pacific Region as an ICTD think-tank. In particular, the Institute will focus its effort on strengthening and broadening their stakeholders’ engagement in the Pearl River Delta Region, China in general, and other countries in the region.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Director of UNU-CS, the Communications Manager will lead a small team. S/he is expected, but not limited to, perform the following responsibilities:
- Develop and implement the UNU-CS communications and outreach strategies to maximize the Institute’s impact in UNU, UN system, host country, and Asia region.
- Translate academic research results in ICT4D into a language and communication materials, which can be understood by general public (e.g. youth), and tailored to different audiences (e.g. governments, UN policy makers, and private donors).
- Communicate success stories of the Institute to the target audience using various channels including internal UNU-CS and UNU channels, UN platforms and other external channels.
- Design, produce and/or edit various communication products, including but not limited to website contents, social media posts, brochures, briefs, presentation slides, press release, campaign and event materials, and videos.
- Lead and coordinate communication activities, such as research talks and campaigns.
- Maintain and update UNU-CS website and social media accounts (e.g. Twitter, Linkedin, Facebook, Weibo, Wechat, etc)
- Reach out to media in the region (newspapers and TV stations) to raise public awareness of the Institute’s research results.
- Conduct interviews of famous researchers in ICT4D field, and advisory board members, and produce articles for the website and social media.
- Act as UNU-CS communication focal points, participate and coordinate UNU-wide communication activities
- Maintain publications, experts and contacts database.
- Monitor, keep track and report on various communication and outreach activities to the Institute and the headquarter.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned by the Director
Required qualifications and experiences:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Communications, Journalism, Information Sciences, Information Management, or a related field is required.
- At least 3 years of experience in communications is required with proven track record dealing with digital communications and campaigns. Applicants with 1 year or above relevant experience at supervisory level is an advantage.
- Excellent communication skills in English both in writing and speaking are required. Knowledge of Chinese is highly desirable.
- Computer literate with profound knowledge of social media, online tools and software to support communication works. Graphic design and video editing skills are desired.
- Knowledge of the UN system will be an asset.
- Flexibility and ability to work under deadlines.
- Creative solutions, and out-of-the-box thinking.
- Result driven.
- Great team player with strong interpersonal skills, demonstrated by the ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Remuneration will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. UN income is not subject to taxes in Macau.
This is a full-time position on a one (1) year Personnel Service Agreement (PSA) contract with UNU, with the possibility for renewal subject to performance and funding availability. The combined duration of appointments shall not exceed six (6) years.
This is a contract position falling outside of the United Nations Common System. The successful candidate will not hold international civil servant status nor be a “staff member” as defined in the United Nations Staff Rules and Regulations.
Starting date: As soon as possible
Interested applicants should submit their applications by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 22 March 2019, and must include the following:
- A cover letter setting out how the qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position;
- A completed and signed UNU Personal History (P.11) form downloadable from the UNU website (please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organizations);
- A curriculum vitae that lists your relevant experience and competencies;
- A writing sample intended for general public audience;
- A communications portfolio or previous work sample (e.g. writing, video, events etc.)
- A subject line “Application for Communications Manager (Ref No: 2019/UNU/CS/PSA/CM/15)”
Please note that applications received after the closing date will not be considered and only short-listed candidates will be offered the opportunity to take the written tests and/or interview for this position.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations - Chapter 3, article 8).