Achieving the global ambitions of our University strategy depends on our people - and we are proud of our highly talented and engaged professional services colleagues. Our culture is ambitious and high-performing, but also supportive and inclusive. Career progression is encouraged, and you will have the opportunity to take responsibility for your own professional development and wellbeing. We actively support collaboration within and across disciplines and roles. Our staff have high levels of engagement and pride in the University.
Roles at this level will require in-depth specialist technical/specialist/IT expertise. Role holders may have supervisory responsibility for a technical service or team, where the primary focus will be on planning, overseeing and reviewing the work of the team and/or will operate as individual technical, specialist or IT experts either supporting service delivery or contributing directly to local project implementation or problem solving through the provision of specialist support activity.
Working as a member of the team which supports Education in the College of Medical and Dental Sciences and using your substantial technical expertise you will have significant responsibility for data analysis and examination processing across the Undergraduate and Postgraduate Taught programmes across the College. You will have responsibility for ensuring the accuracy of data, its interpretation and analysis, and for ensuring that technical and statistical aspects of assessment run smoothly. You will also be responsible for support and training associated with the systems used to deliver student assessment outcomes.
You will work closely with Academic Programme Assessment Leads, academic staff and members of the Professional Services (e.g. Programme managers/administrators) to anticipate and meet needs. Some flexibility in working hours will be required, particularly around the peak examination and assessment periods.
Management Information and Development
- You will have responsibility for the development and provision of complex spreadsheets/databases and manipulation of data to support student assessment as appropriate for each programme.
- Using your expertise you will contribute to the development and implementation of systems and processes to support data analysis and student assessment.
- Work collaboratively with the academic community to develop and maintain systems which are fit for purpose, and which can be integrated into the marks processing operation within the College and across the wider University
- You will plan and deliver the training and support for staff in the use of exam-related systems to clearly defined standards.
- Develop and maintain clear and accessible written documentation to support all processes undertaken by the College Assessment Team.
- Develop and provide training and support in the use of excel spreadsheets and interpretation of statistical analyses for Professional Services and Academic staff appropriate to their role and business need.
Provision of data and quality assurance
- Responsible for provision of assessment feedback to students in a format which ensure they can understand their individual results in the context of the exam results overall (applicable across all programme areas) e.g. cumulative weighted averages and histograms of results for medical students.
- Responsible for carrying out statistical analyses of student performance to inform the standard setting process required for marks processing as appropriate for each programme.
- Undertake statistical analysis of data from individual examination questions to identify any anomalies and support academics to interpret these statistics and identify and implement changes to results where required.
- Responsible for analyses of student performance data for examination boards, and for use in quality assurance processes applicable to assessment and external examiner feedback.
- Develop systems which support the collation and provision of data
- Ensure the accuracy and safe storage of data.
- Manage the Data Assessments Co-ordinator, setting and agreeing objectives and scheduling activity to ensure work is completed to timescales.
- Conduct regular 1-1s/reviews of progress and the annual support staff performance development review (PDR).
- Assist with the recruitment and selection of new staff members as appropriate.
- Promotes equality and values diversity, acting as a role model and fostering an inclusive working culture.
- Supports the University’s sustainability agenda through resource efficient working.
- Any other duties commensurate with the grade.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications, Experience
- Educated to Degree level (or equivalent qualifications) in a numerate subject (IT/Statistics/Business Studies) or relevant technical qualification and considerable relevant experience. Where no equivalent qualification is held, significant practical relevant experience and expertise in a series of more demanding roles will be required demonstrating the conceptual understanding required.
- In depth up to date specialist understanding and experience of data management techniques. Significant experience of statistics and macros, their usage and interpretation.
- Significant advanced level expertise and experience of databases and spreadsheets, including a wide variety of Excel functions to apply appropriate statistical tests and procedures for routine analysis and management of assessment data.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to explain technical issues to non-specialists, including excellent communication skills with staff at all levels.
- Excellent organisational skills, with the ability to work to strict deadlines and prioritise own workload and that of directly managed staff.
- Must demonstrate a critical and intelligent attention to detail and high standards of accuracy.
- Ability to work as part of a team, and work effectively with a range of staff at all levels within the University and contacts outside.
- Ability to apply proven problem solving skills to consider complex problems, and devise innovative solutions.
- A proactive approach to critically review existing practices and propose and implement improvements.
- Be self-reflective and willing to undertake appropriate development opportunities to support working practices
- Knowledge of the protected characteristics of the Equality Act 2010, and how to actively ensure in day to day activity in own area that those with protected characteristics are treated equally and fairly.
Further particulars can be found here: http://www.download.bham.ac.uk/vacancies/jd/MDSFPs.pdf
Informal enquiries to Philippa McLeish email@example.com