CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy. The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The COO will report to the Vice-Chancellor and Principal and be a member of the Vice-Chancellor and Principal’s Office/Senior Executive Team. The COO will be responsible for the provision of strategic leadership and operational execution of the following portfolios: Facilities Management, Information Technology Services and Security Services through the relevant line managers, in support of the Vice-Chancellor and Principal and the academic mission of the University.
This position requires a goal-driven, results-oriented leader. The accountability of this position is to ensure that effective operational controls, work flows, reporting procedures, systems, and resources are in place to improve the operational efficiency, effectiveness and strategic position of the respective portfolios assigned. From time to time the portfolio responsibilities of the incumbent may be revised at the discretion of the Vice-Chancellor and Principal.
- At least a Master's degree in an engineering and/or information technology and/or related field.
- At least 10 years’ experience in leading and managing support functions for large organisation, of which at least five years in a senior management role.
- Previous experience in the role of COO is preferred;
- Experience in:
- Developing business processes and management of projects;
- Developing and implementing strategic plans for security, infrastructure and information technology;
- Reporting and analysis of financial position and forecasts;
- People management;
- Budget and resource mobilisation.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Proven knowledge of the following:
- Business knowledge;
- Organisational policies, procedures, systems and objectives;
- Principles and practices of modern management and administration;
- Financial analysis;
- Human resources management techniques;
- Facilities and infrastructure management and capital development processes;
- Project management;
- Planning and organising;
- Developing strategies;
- Strategic, administrative and operational management skills;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Change management skills.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- An appropriate PhD or doctorate in an engineering and/or information technology and/or related field;
- Additional years of experience in excess of 10 years will be desirable.
PLEASE NOTE: All shortlisted candidates may be required to participate in relevant skills assessments as part of the selection process.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
The Chief Operating Officer is appointed for a term of five years and renewal for a further term is subject to performance.
The Regulation and Procedure for the Appointment of Executive Directors is available on the UP Website www.up.ac.za at Careers@UP (link: Appointment regulations for Executives and Deans). By applying, applicants consent to the appointment process as contained in the regulations.
CLOSING DATE: 30 April 2019
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Mr Stephen Fredericksz, Tel: (0)82 581 3558 for application-related enquiries, and Ms Patience Mushungwa, Tel: (012) 420 2375 for enquiries relating to the post content.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 30 June 2019, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity. In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups. All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials. The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.