Chartered in 1983, Aga Khan University (AKU) is a private, autonomous and self-governing international university, with 13 teaching sites in 6 countries over three continents (www.aku.edu). An integral part of the Aga Khan Development Network (www.akdn.org), AKU provides higher education in several disciplines, carries out research pertinent to the countries and operates 7 hospitals (soon 8) and over 325 outreach clinics, all at international standards. It has almost 2,500 students and 14,000 staff. The University is both a model of academic excellence and an agent of social change. As an international institution, AKU operates on the core principles of quality, relevance, impact and access.
The Faculty of Health Sciences in East Africa consists of the Medical College and the School of Nursing and Midwifery with future plans for allied health sciences. The Medical College has 4-year Master of Medicine degrees in anaesthesia, family medicine, medicine, obstetrics & gynaecology, paediatrics, pathology, radiology, and surgery. The Faculty of Health Sciences is building infrastructure in population health sciences and the university has defined priority areas of clinical-academic focus, including Women and Child Health and non-communicable diseases (cardiac, oncology, neurosciences).
The Aga Khan University, East Africa invites applications for the position of Chair, Department of Family Medicine.
Reporting to the Dean, Medical College and the CEO, Aga Khan University Hospital, Nairobi (AKUH, N), the Chair will have the overall responsibility for the academic and service mandate of the department, consistent with the mission and policies of the Aga Khan University and the Aga Khan University Hospital.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A demonstrated track record of leadership within an academic health sciences centre, teaching hospital or integrated health authority;
- Specialist qualification in Family Medicine and be at, or eligible to be appointed at, an Associate Professor level or above;
- Registration or be eligible for registration by the Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists’ Board;
- Capability of taking an entrepreneurial approach to develop financially viable service enhancements;
- Experience in education at the undergraduate and postgraduate level and be engaged in scholarly contributions to the field;
- Experience working in a developing country and /or the ability to adapt in this context; and
- Worked in a multi-site and/or in a multi-country institutions or have potential to manage in a similar environment with strong financial management skills.
Application period is open until position is filled.