Birmingham Business School is a world-leading institution and global thought leader in responsible business. We hold triple-crown accreditation with EQUIS, AMBA and AACSB. We are seeking to appoint a Chair in Strategy to lead world-class research and deliver research-led education that supports the strategic priorities of the School, aligning also with the University’s broader strategy regarding sustainability and ‘research that matters’. The postholder will be expected to engage with colleagues within and outside the School to support and develop research agendas around purpose-led strategy and innovation, responsible business and sustainability.
The Department of Strategy and International Business is a Centre of Excellence for research in International Business and Global Strategy. We conduct internationally-leading research on: internationalisation of firms in and from emerging economies, entrepreneurship, innovation and global value chains, international strategic alliances and merger & acquisitions, and methodological approaches in international business research. Our research regularly appears in world elite and top journals in the field of international business and beyond. The postholder will be expected to have an outstanding international reputation in the Strategy scholarly community.
- Develop, plan and lead research activities and programmes of outstanding quality and international repute in responsible business strategy and sustainability
- Develop and lead collaborative working arrangements with academics in cognate areas in the School and wider University to deliver outstanding research and teaching.
- Lead major funding bids related to the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) research and advance the reputation of the School and the University.
- Publish high-quality internationally recognised outputs.
- Develop sustained and strong relationships with relevant external organisations.
- Participate actively in the development of the School’s research agenda, identifying and building collaborations inside and outside the University.
- Champion and provide academic leadership in Strategy internally and externally.
- Seek opportunities to promote the University and raise its profile externally.
- Develop an atmosphere and culture among staff where research/teaching innovation can flourish, actively promoting and supporting staff in applying for research grants, writing and presenting papers and in the continuous search for excellence.
- Provide teaching leadership and deliver research-informed teaching across undergraduate and postgraduate programmes.
- Actively seek and promote interdisciplinary research/partnerships within the School, across the University or with external bodies.
- As appropriate participate in and act as a role model for teaching, course development, supervision and coaching.
- Evidence of an outstanding and sustained international research and/or education profile, evidenced by a substantial record of international quality outputs (4* publications) and achievements
- Proven ability to plan and lead the delivery of research and/or teaching programmes.
- Evidence of successful and sustained collaborations with other teams/institutions and significant and sustained success in obtaining external grants.
- Track record in interdisciplinary working in research and/or teaching and bringing multi-disciplinary teams together.
- Track record of attracting and successfully supervising high-quality doctoral students
- Evidence, over a significant period, of delivering excellence in the design and delivery of teaching, at both undergraduate and postgraduate level
- Evidence of activities that advance the student learning experience (for example in enhancing the curriculum, learning activities/teaching materials, assessment, evaluating the impact on the student learning experience) or which enhance the teaching and learning performance of colleagues.
- Track record in translating research into the academic and societal impact and engaging with policymakers, business leaders and practice
- A PhD in a relevant discipline
Informal Enquiries – Professor Catherine Cassell, Dean of Birmingham Business School (email@example.com) or Dr Linda Hsieh, Head of Department of Strategy and International Business (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The Birmingham Business School
Birmingham Business School (BBS) is a dynamic and internationally-focused Business School offering programmes across the full range of business and economics disciplines. The School has been a major player in business education for more than a century and we continue to invest in our academic staff and facilities as we work towards our ambition of becoming a Top Ten UK and internationally recognised Business School. Our world-class research and teaching provide the insights, ambitions and skills to shape more responsible business strategies and our vision is to promote curiosity and thought leadership for responsible business. The School recently opened a £25m extension to University House, home to BBS, meaning that all our Faculty are now located in one prestigious building. The School currently comprises six departments and employs over 240 academic faculty, around 110 professional services staff and has around 6000 students on its programmes in Edgbaston, Dubai and Singapore.
The Birmingham Business School is strongly committed to equality, diversity and inclusion and is particularly seeking applications from underrepresented groups. Applications will be assessed against the stated criteria and on merit.
Valuing excellence, sustaining investment
We value diversity and inclusion at the University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community and are open to discussions around all forms of flexible working.