Physics and Astronomy
University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK
Full time starting salary is normally in the range £30,942 to £40,322. With potential progression once in post to £42,792
Fixed term until 28th February 2023
Closing date - 1st July 2020
The Business Engagement Officer role will form a key part of the project team for the Accelerating Thermal Energy Technology Adoption (ATETA) project. This person will work closely with the ATETA Business Engagement Manager and Project Manager at the University of Birmingham, providing effective strategic and operational support in all aspects of business engagement for the project, including marketing, promotion and event management to business. This position will involve duties such as working closely with the Business Engagement Manager (BEM) to facilitate SME entry into the project, and managing the resultant relationships for UoB/SME research collaborations that develop from this initial engagement. The post holder will also substantially contribute to the planning of events and meetings, managing allocated budgets and assist the Business Engagement Manager in the successful delivery of these activities.
The post holder will be responsible for support of the business engagement of project activities and act as a day-to day interface between two major strategic programmes. More specifically:
- Supporting the BEM in the development, promotion and delivery of business seminars, workshops, practical demonstrations, e-marketing and other promotional material focused on informing GBSLEP, CWLEP and BCLEP SMEs of the objectives of the ATETA project.
- Manage and forward-plan allocated budgets associated with events and promotional activity, as well as taking responsibility for reporting and taking appropriate corrective action.
- Assist the BEM in attracting and engaging local SMEs through activities such as: direct calls and site visits, organisation of webinars, workshops and events, attendance at industry focused external conferences and events.
- Build, maintain and influence effective strategic relationships, including those between external organisations, academic schools in the University, and Research Support Services at the University.
- With the assistance of the BEM, supporting senior executives in these SMEs in the development of their internal business cases to justify investment in R&D activity with the University
- Providing on-going support to University/SME teams to deliver collaborative projects
- Working in support of the Project Manager and Business Engagement Manager in the development of business assists and collaborative projects
- Setting up, and contributing to the running of webinars, events and meetings
- Organising and maintaining project publicity material, project status and evidence of business engagement
- Attending and reporting at both internal and external events/meetings, where appropriate
- In collaboration with the BEM to develop, manage and maintain client relationships with relevant SMEs
- Post Holder will ensure that all project documentation / evidence is collated and reported in a timely manner
- Undertaking other duties, as necessary and when these arise, as directed by Team leaders within the project
Knowledge and Skills
- Experience of undertaking marketing and events activity for business development with clearly identifiable contributions to influencing the success of activity.
- Ability to operate as a day-to-day interface between two high-profile strategic organisations.
- Ability to summarise complex issues/concepts and present them appropriately for a range of audiences.
- Ability to plan, manage and prioritise own workload, respond to changing priorities and deliver innovative solutions to deadlines maintaining a consistently high standard of service and meeting client needs.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a multi-functional team.
- Excellent client relationship management and interpersonal skills and an ability to work closely with other people at all levels of seniority.
- Excellent communication skills: oral, written and presentational.
- Understanding of the higher education research environment, its research functions and markets.
- Understanding of research and knowledge transfer practices for business including funding streams and motivations.
- Ability to implement processes and identify where processes or procedures might be improved.
- Ability to understand complex regulations and work appropriately to these regulations.
- It would be an advantage to demonstrate proficiency of working with projects funded by the EU and related bodies.
Qualification and Experience
- Experience in a business engagement or technology consulting / industrial / commercial environment with senior level interactions with client organisations, ideally SMEs.
- Marketing qualification / experience of marketing in a science & engineering environment.
- Experience of working within a publicly funded business support organisation, higher education or research management environment desirable.
Informal enquiries can be made to David Terry - D.Terry@bham.ac.uk
We value diversity at The University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community’
Valuing excellence; sustaining investment