FACULTY OF ENGINEERING, BUILT ENVIRONMENT AND IT
DEPARTMENT OF TOWN AND REGIONAL PLANNING
ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR / PROFESSOR AND HEAD OF DEPARTMENT
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- the strategic, academic, leadership and transformation of the department;
- promoting, planning, organizing, accreditation and managing of academic and research programs and the department’s research profile;
- the recruitment and management of world class personnel;
- all financial activities including externally funded projects;
- playing an active role as academic leader of the discipline at a local, national and international level and development of international partnerships;
- marketing and growing the department with the emphasis on student growth;
- leading and promoting the research intensity within the Department in terms of research outputs, international publications and PhD students.
- An undergraduate degree in Town and Regional Planning;
- A PhD in Town and Regional Planning;
- Academic status in the relevant discipline;
- A proven research and publication record;
- National recognition as a researcher;
- Experience in the successful graduation of Master’s and/or PhD candidates;
- Experience in undergraduate and/or postgraduate teaching.
- As for Associate Professor;
- National and international recognition as a researcher;
- Experience in the successful graduation of PhD candidates.
Head of Department must demonstrate:
- Experience in high-level liaison with internal and external stakeholders and professional boards;
- Experience in managing and leadership activities;
- Experience in marketing of Department or projects to obtain research and development contracts and external funding;
- Experience in managing in The Built Environment;
- Experience in accreditation processes;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Experience in national and/or international collaboration.
PREFERRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Managerial experience at a tertiary institution;
- Strong leadership and communication skills;
- International recognition;
- An exceptional research record in one of the department’s research specialisation fields;
- NRF Rating.
Applicants are requested to provide the following documentation in support of their application:
- Complete and updated Curriculum Vitae;
- A brief self-evaluation by the candidate;
- Candidate’s brief teaching portfolio;
- The candidate’s vision for the department;
- Details of three contactable referees, including referees who can attest to the candidate’s academic and/or leadership qualities.
Candidates may be expected to make a 10 minute presentation to the Appointments Committee on his / her vision for the Department.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED medical aid scheme and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
CLOSING DATE: 5 May 2017
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: The Dean of the Faculty, Prof Sunil Maharaj, Tel: (012) 420 4636
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 30 June 2017, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised position.