The Gulf University for Science and Technology (GUST) is Kuwait's first private, American-model university. GUST currently offers programs in Arts and Sciences, and Business-including an MBA. GUST is internationally accredited by various bodies. The Computer Science degree offered by the Arts & Sciences is accredited by the ABET/CAC. In addition, the Foundation program in English is accredited by the Commission on Intensive English Program Accreditation (CEA).
The Department of English Language and Literature in the College of Arts & Sciences at the Gulf University for Science & Technology (GUST) seeks candidates for an assistant professor position to teach courses in Academic English and Freshman Composition to ELL undergraduate students. In addition to teaching, the successful candidate will be expected to collaborate on improving the undergraduate composition curriculum and to provide faculty trainings in ELL pedagogical methods for other writing instructors within the department. In addition to teaching and service, faculty are expected to maintain an increasingly significant professional and/or scholarly practice. Candidates are expected to have completed all the requirements for their doctorate at the time of appointment. Applications will be considered on a continuous basis until the position is filled. Although preference will be given to candidates who qualify for appointment at the rank of Assistant/Associate/Full Professor those who qualify for appointment at higher ranks are also encouraged to apply.
Qualified candidates will:
- Possess a PhD in TESOL or Composition with additional evidence of credential and experience in TESOL;
- Provide evidence of professional activity including publications in academic journals and participation in relevant ESL conferences
- Experience and interest in training instructors across the college in best practices around ELL learning in a higher education setting;
- Experience using digital writing instruction and computer-assisted language learning.
- Aware of current assessment of student learning practices; particularly rubric design
- Demonstrate a background in teaching composition to ELL undergraduate students
- Experience developing ELL writing curriculum and a willingness to play a central role in developing such curriculum in the future;
- Possess the ability to collaborate on an instructional team and on faculty committees;
- Interest in collaborating with other members of the college community to foster a successful learning environment for ELL students.
The University is committed to lively teaching, integrating educational technology, and to active research and other forms of scholarship. CAS maintains a Linkedin interests group page that can be viewed here, please visit it and learn about some of the activities that the CAS faculty are involved in. Candidates must have completed, at the time of appointment, all requirements for their doctorate in the advertised fields. Applications will be considered until the position is filled. Although preference will be given to candidates who qualify for appointment at the rank of assistant professor those who qualify for appointment at higher ranks are also encouraged to apply.
GUST offers competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package including a housing allowance, education allowances for dependents, a medical and dental plan, as well as annual tickets home. Interested applicants are requested to visit our vacancies page at www.gust.edu.kw/vacancies and fill out the online form and upload supporting documents including a cover letter, CV and the names and contact information for at least three references. A confirmation that the application has been received will be sent immediately.