Faculty Health Sciences
Assistant Officer (post level 13)
Job ID: 1804
Duties and responsibilities:
- Manage the diary and electronic diary of the Academic Dead of Department.
- Arrange meetings, functions, venues and catering.
- Handle email and other correspondence, including reporting faults, repair work and general maintenance.
- Compile, type and distribute agendas, notices, reports and general office administration including prepare and distribute minutes of meetings.
- Liaise with HR and Finance Departments pertaining to appointments and finances as instructed regarding submission of forms and claims.
- Liaise with Xerox pertaining to study material.
- Responsible for travel and accommodation arrangements (national and international) for staff members and visitors/guest speakers.
- Order stationery, consumables and submit general service requests.
- Provide supervision regarding the cleanliness and general neatness of the building and lecture venues, communication with cleaning staff.
- Perform any other tasks as requested by the Academic Head of Department.
- Perform general administrative support for Community Service Learning.
- Perform student administration regarding HPCSA, community service and problems experienced during undergraduate student registration.
- Compile and finalise documentation for students applying for overseas registration including describing the curriculum as well as the number of hours spent on each module.
- Manage venue bookings and venue double bookings within the department.
- Type and distribute CPD certificates as needed.
- Liaise with presenters of courses presented within the department.
- Compile and format examination and test question papers in the department and hand in the examination question papers at the examination division.
- Perform general administrative support including: obtaining quotations, obtaining electronic requisitions and finalising all purchases as well as all other departmental claims.
- Manage waste paper.
- Liaise with external examiners (invitations, flight tickets, accommodation and payment).
- Manage keys and money of the sport clinic.
- Responsible for the security measures within the department.
- Test and practical invigilation as necessary.
- Type timetables.
- Serve as member of the non-academic committee.
- Prepare financial statements for executive committee meetings.
- Proven administration skills.
- Computer proficiency in MS Office packages.
- Ability to work independently and also in a group.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to function with ease in the University's richly diverse working environment
- Tertiary qualification in secretarial or office practice
- Previous experience at a tertiary institution
Assumption of duties:
01 March 2017
20 January 2017
The salary scale is available on request. For any further enquiries, please feel free to contact 051 401 3101 / 2849.
(Subject to specific conditions): pension scheme, medical aid scheme, group life insurance, housing allowance, leave and sick leave, service bonus and study benefits
The University reserves the right not to fill the post. The University subscribes to and applies the principles prescribed by the Employment Equity Act. Preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups, in accordance with the principles of the aforementioned act and the employee profile of the specific department / division.
Applications may only be submitted online. All applications must be accompanied by the following:
- A detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter.
- Copies of qualifications (please provide the SAQA accreditation in the case of foreign qualifications).
- A copy of your identity document (ID).
Applications that are incomplete, or sent by fax or e-mail, will not be considered. Should you not be contacted within six weeks of the closing date for applications, you may assume that your application was unsuccessful.