The Admissions and Marketing Officer for the School of Engineering is responsible for overseeing undergraduate and postgraduate taught admissions and delivering student recruitment marketing and outreach activity.
The post holder will play a key role in ensuring that the School’s recruitment targets are met and will work closely with the College teams to ensure conversion is maximised. They will constantly monitor admissions numbers and event registrations. Using their expertise, they will proactively identify the need for any interventions and implement those as appropriate.
They will also ensure there is an efficient service to handle staff and student enquiries, and that appropriate electronic systems are in place to support the School’s admissions functions.
Managing a small team, this role will lead on the development of strategies for the School and their implementation. They will ensure the team is agile in their response to fluctuations in-cycle and in their response to changing demands and priorities.
Working with colleagues across the College, they will collaborate on marketing and communication strategies, and ensure output is relevant and in line with the School’s priorities.
- Degree level education or equivalent work experience in a similar role
- Substantial experience in an admissions, recruitment and marketing environment
- Ability to demonstrate a critical and intelligent attention to detail, with high standards of accuracy, particularly with regard to applications processing, email, word processing and document layout, use of mail merge etc. Proven copywriting, editing and proofreading ability
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to use tact and diplomacy when dealing with difficult situations (e.g. in rejecting unsuitable applicants).
- Confidence in dealing with senior staff.
- Demonstrable commitment to customer service.
- A strong understanding of how to respond to differing stakeholders’ needs, including internal customers across different University departments, and applicants from a diverse range of backgrounds.
- Excellent organisational skills, including the ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Strong written communication skills, including the ability to write clearly and concisely for a range of audiences, including to applicants, parents and staff.
- Ability to interpret numerical data, including assessment of performance against student recruitment targets.
- Computer literate, confident and competent in the use of IT, especially in the use of databases and spreadsheets, together with a willingness to learn new packages if required.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office packages Experience of using social media in a business environment
- A high level of initiative is required along with the capacity to work independently
- A creative approach to problem solving and a ‘can-do’ attitude
- A strong team player
- Able to work under pressure to meet deadlines
- Flexibility to work out of hours, evenings and weekends, when required (e.g. at Open Days)