LANGUAGE AND STUDY SKILLS (LST) LECTURER
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy. The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The purpose of this job is to assist students to become sufficiently academically literate to cope with the demands of university studies, by means of lectures, consultations, and supplementary subject-specific material.
The incumbent will be responsible for:
- Co-ordination and organisation:
- Serving as Module Co-ordinator and related administrative processes;
- Managing lecturers, assigning teaching loads and providing guidance on teaching and learning programmes;
- Access and successful student learning:
- Lecturing and preparing contents for the LST programme;
- Consulting with students and ensuring that there is a transfer of skills through learning;
- Completing all tasks related to successful teaching and learning;
- Research and international profile:
- Conducting research in the field of Academic Literacy and publishing in this field;
- Increasing knowledge base in field;
- Optimising resources/enhancing sustainability:
- Creating material, for classes, workbooks, and online platforms, so as to optimise the teaching of LST by means of a blended learning model;
- Transformed/inclusive social responsiveness and impact in society:
- Participating in the planning and implementation of subject assignments aimed at integrating learning with the community in which the Mamelodi Campus is located (either at micro- or macro- level) so as to practically apply subject outcomes to society/the community;
- Performing administration related to the effective running of the LST subject.
- Master’s degree in Academic Literacy, Linguistics, Applied Linguistics, Applied Language Studies, English or a related field;
- A valid driver’s licence;
- Three years’ experience in teaching or tutoring Academic Literacy or a related field;
- At least one publication in an accredited journal.
- Experience in lecturing Academic Literacy at a tertiary institution.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Knowledge in the field of Academic Literacy and/or teaching English to speakers of other languages;
- Knowledge of academic modules and development of academic programmes;
- The ability to use Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) effectively to develop material, administrate class lists and marks, calculate student marks, and create presentations;
- The ability to use ClickUP effectively as part of a blended learning strategy;
- The ability to use other online platforms effectively as part of an blended learning strategy;
- The ability to use Collaborate with fellow lecturers, so as to work together as a cohesive team;
- Patience and understanding towards students who are at-risk, and who might need additional guidance;
- The ability to complete work on time;
- The ability to produce work of excellent quality that will contribute to the advancement of LST in the UP Extended Curriculum Programmes;
- Strong leadership and communication skills.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- PhD in Academic Literacy, Linguistics, Applied Language Studies, English or a related field;
- Publications in Academic Literacy or a related field;
- Experience in supervision of postgraduates;
Please note that the selection process will include a skills assessment exercise which will take place at the University of Pretoria's Mamelodi campus. All shortlisted applicants will be required to attend the skills assessment session at the University of Pretoria's Mamelodi campus.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV, strictly in UP CV format
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
- A letter of motivation for the application in line with minimum requirements and including self-evaluation.
CLOSING DATE: 25 April 2019
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Mr Zolani Gqabi, Tel: (012) 420 2484
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 30 June 2019, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity. In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups. All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials. The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.