The University of Pretoria is a multi-campus public research university in Pretoria, the administrative and de facto capital of South Africa.
The University of Pretoria is one of the largest research universities in South Africa, with nine highly regarded faculties that span the knowledge spectrum from classic academic fields to rapidly evolving new fields of study.
The university is home to Africa’s best business school, the Gordon Institute of Business Science in Johannesburg, Africa’s best Faculty of Law, and South Africa’s only Faculty of Veterinary Science at Onderstepoort, near Pretoria. The university faculties are well-equipped with state-of-the-art research facilities, laboratories, academic libraries, skills development and practical learning opportunities, and spaces to learn or study socially or individually. The faculties comprise of 120 academic departments that provide a combined course offering of over 1 200 programmes across our faculties of Humanities; Education; Economic and Management Sciences; Natural and Agricultural Sciences; Health Sciences; Veterinary Science; Theology and Religion; Law; and Engineering, Built Environment and Information Technology.
Pretoria programmes are locally and globally relevant. UP endeavours to create an environment that enables all students to maximise their own intellectual potential in their chosen field of study by providing a solid teaching and learning foundation that will lead our graduates to greater success in their careers, or light the spark of curiosity and discovery through further postgraduate specialisation and research.
The University of Pretoria has been home to some of Africa’s most significant leaders in research. We profile here our NRF-rated researchers and significant external awards, our young stars, and the profiles of the exceptional women in research at UP. It is through the sustained individual and collective actions of our researchers that the University of Pretoria continues to strengthen its identity as a leading research-intensive university in Africa.
Each year the increasing number of National Research Foundation-rated researchers is evidence of the University’s commitment to attracting and retaining researchers of the highest distinction, as well as young researchers with the potential for research excellence.
The University’s annual recognition of exceptional academic achievers bears further testimony to the recognition of rising stars, and of women in research, in addition to the recognition of established researchers with well-recognised national and international profiles.
To be a leading research‐intensive university in Africa, recognised internationally for its quality, relevance and impact, as also for developing people, creating knowledge and making a difference locally and globally.
In pursuing recognition and excellence in its core functions of research, teaching and learning, and integrating engagement with society and communities into these, the University of Pretoria will use quality, relevance, diversity and sustainability as its navigational markers.
- The members of the University of Pretoria believe that:
- our community of scholars must be founded on the pursuit of knowledge through research, teaching and learning, with membership acquired on the basis of intellectual merit, ability and the potential for excellence; and that
- differing perspectives, arising from diverse backgrounds and histories that define our identities, deepen scholarly inquiry and enrich the academic debate.
- We cherish:
- academic freedom, creative and innovative thought, ethical standards and integrity, accountability and social justice; and
- our staff and students as the University’s core asset.
- We foster:
- an inquiry‐led and evidence‐based approach to creating knowledge; and
- academic citizenship, whereby we commit ourselves to harness our intellectual abilities in the interest of our nation and humanity.
- We recognise that:
- in a resource‐constrained world where vast disparities remain, the University must endeavour to produce graduates who appreciate the importance of community service, entrepreneurial endeavours and innovative actions in generating employment and development in our local communities.