Founded on November 16th 1948, Universidad de los Andes is the first private higher education institution in Colombia, ranked in the top 272 worlwide according to the QS 2016 and the seventh best university of Latin America. Located in Bogota D.C., is an autonomous, independent, and innovative institution that fosters pluralism, tolerance, and respect for ideas. It aims for academic excellence while providing rigorous critical and ethical character development, in order to enhance in all students an awareness of their social and citizenship responsibilities, as well as a firm commitment to their society.
School of Engineering
The School of Engineering is also one of the top schools in its field thanks to its teaching and research, with national and international exposure that contributes to Colombia’s development. The Faculty is well known for its teaching staff, with professors with strong academic backgrounds: 85% have PhD degrees.
More than 95% of our students scored in the top 10% on Colombia’s national university entrance examination, developing in an environment that fosters learning and the development of research in 59 laboratories, some of them unique in the continent. 81% of first-degree graduates find employment in the first three months after their graduation, and our alumni are recognized for their skills, which enable them to transform society through work in technological, economic, social and environmental fields.
The excellence and high quality standards of the School of Engineering have allowed it to win some of the most important recognitions in education, including international accreditation ABET. All undergraduate programs have received the highest-quality accreditation level from the National Accreditation Council.
Department of Systems and Computing Engineering - DISC
The Department of Systems and Computing Engineering - DISC was founded in 1968. Its academic level has always been its hallmark. The Department collaborates closely with both public and private entities that work in fields related to information and communication technology (i.e., ICTs, its acronym in Spanish).
The Department is characterized by its strengths as:
- Quality of professional team: All Department members have graduate degrees, most of them at the Ph.D. level. They have wide range experience in teaching, research and consulting.
- Quality of Programs: The Department's programs respond to the current needs of the world industry by training professionals that can help improve information management and technological development.
- Business Association: Through its collaboration with governmental and non governmental entities as wells as networks and other academic and scientific institutions both local and international, the Department contributes to the development of ICTs in particular and in general to the overall development of the country. This collaboration is carried out through research and consulting projects.
- High-level Research: DISC organizes its research activities through three research groups: COMIT, TICSw and IMAGINE, which are recognized by Colciencias. These groups promote the development of projects that generate knowledge and impact at a national and an international level, in areas such as information engineering, software construction, formal methods, visual computing, security, communications and organizational computing.
- Infrastructure: The academic programs, as well as the research and consulting projects, are supported by state of the art infrastructure technology: a Datacenter, general purpose laboratories and research laboratories, such as: Enterprise Architecture, Connectivity and Communications Networks, Computer Forensics, Mobile Computing, Engineering Information (Codex) and Visual Computing (Colivrí).
The Department offers one undergraduate program and a graduate school which are directed to solve the global problems related to ICTs. It's undergraduate program was awarded a high quality accreditation for 8 years by the National Accreditation Council (NAC), the Ministry of National Education. It also holds an ABET international accreditation granted in 2012. Our Graduate School consists of 7 master's programs and 2 specialization programs.
Bogota is the capital and the largest city in Colombia, an economical, touristic and multicultural center, full of variety and typical flavors with a diverse agenda of cultural activities like music, arts, books and theater festivals. Bogota posses a great variety of touristic attractions, historical places, parks and a unique landscape, placed among the heart of Andes. Among the places of interest, you can visit here is the Bolivar Square, the Gold Museum, the National Museum, Bogota’s Modern Art Museum (MAMBO), the Banco de la Republica’s Art Museum, La Candelaria (a typical colonial village), Monserrate sanctuary, the District Planetarium, Simon Bolivar Park, Virgilio Barco and Luis A. Arango libraries. Bogota also has distinctive places for night entertainment, theatres and shopping places. For more information, please visit Bogota’s official tourism site: http://www.bogota.gov.co/turismo
View this employer's current jobs
The Systems and Computing Engineering Department of Universidad de Los Andes is looking for candidates for a tenure track position for teaching, research and institutional development.
The successful candidate should have a Ph.D. in Computer Science or related fields. He/she should have work ex...
Position: 1 year PostDoc (extendable for 1 year)
Expected starting date: August 1st, 2018
Location: Universidad de Los Andes, Bogotá, Colombia
The Systems and Computing Department is aware that new applications and information systems are exponent...