Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester Metropolitan University is the UK’s most popular University as measured by undergraduate applications in the 2011 intake, receiving more than 56,000* applications this year.
A history dating back 150 years, a proven commitment to investment and a reputation for blending the traditional with the contemporary comprise the culture at MMU. The university’s structure is led by the Board of Governers and our mission is driven by a Corporate Strategy.
Facts and Figures
We were awarded university status in 1992, but have a history dating back 150 years. We are the largest campus-based Undergraduate university in the UK with a total student population of more than 37,000. We are also part of the largest higher education campus in the UK and one of the most extensive education centres in Europe.
We employ around 4,500 staff in our academic faculties, research units and support services, and we are benchmarked in the top 1.5% of organisations in the country for best practice in people management.
Our central campus is situated close to Manchester’s city centre, but we also have a large campus at Crewe in Cheshire.
Vision of the Future
MMU is engaged in an ambitious and strategic programme of change and development – The Change Agenda – which encompasses a defined set of University Values which inform the University’s Vision.
The Student Experience
MMU’s commitment to a diverse student experience encompasses facilitating students accessing information relevant to them via the Student Hub, an eclectic range of Undergraduate and Postgraduate courses and a £350 million investment in providing world class learning environments.
Working at MMU
We are proud of the supportive and rewarding working culture we have fostered at MMU.
We offer excellent benefits to staff, including one of the most competitive holiday entitlements in the region, generous pension schemes, discounted travel, and access to a range of fantastic offers, including reduced rates at lots of sports facilities, shops and restaurants.
Living in the North West
MMU comprises two campuses; the dynamic city centre of Manchester and the more relaxed setting of Cheshire. Both locations offer fantastic facilities, study, leisure, sport and work environments for staff.
A vibrant, multi-cultural and modern city, Manchester offers a veritable multitude of events and attractions, from an eclectic range of restaurants and bars through to a host of shopping options, alongside a thriving cultural scene, with world-renowned art galleries, museums, cultural festivals and more.
Based in Crewe, Manchester's Cheshire campus offers a pastoral setting, situated at the heart of beautiful Cheshire. A destination offering a true diversity of character, Cheshire is home to a number of towns, surrounded by stunning sprawling countryside. With a host of restaurants, shopping, culutural attractions and entertainment; living in Cheshire offers the very best of both worlds.
*Based on applications received in 2011/12. Data provided by UCAS.
View this employer's current jobs
The Rt Hon Lord Mandelson
Professor Malcolm Press
- Through a 10 year rationalisation programme, we have transformed from seven campuses to two (Manchester and Cheshire) in the 2014/15 academic year.
- We awarded £16.9million in Student Support Packages in 2014/15.
- We have over 260,000 alumni across the world.
- We are a university in the global top 3%.
- We have a £200million capital investment planned over the next seven years.
- We offer 24/7 access to performance spaces for students.
- We have a £6million contemporary arts centre at the Cheshire campus.
- The Poet Laureate, Professor Carol Ann Duffy is Creative Director at our Writing School in the Department of English.
- We have invested £50million in state-of-the-art laboratories.
- The University is one of the top 3 greenest UK universities.
- Our £10million Exercise and Sport Science Centre is fitted with the latest testing and research equipment.
- We have the UK’s second largest Business School, with 5,000 students.
- Our multimedia specialist facilities and equipment meet high-level industry standards, and expose students to a professional and friendly working environment.
- We are at the forefront of development in Early Years and Childhood Studies for over 20 years at Manchester and Cheshire, longer for Youth and Community Work.
- We have connections with many sports teams including Manchester City FC, Sales Sharks and Salford Reds.
- For the second time in 2015, the Department of Nursing received the award of Provider of the Year for Pre-registration Nurse Education.
Receive the latest jobs direct to your inbox - save your criteria and receive only what's relevant - no spam!
Click for info on subscribing
Check out our social media feeds and blog for all the latest opportunities and academic career tips.